Showing 111875 results

Authority record

Mills, Henrietta (Green)

Henrietta Green (1857-1950) was daughter of Harry C. Green (1817-1918) whose father Samuel came from England around 1831 to settle in North St. Eleanors. Henrietta had two brothers and six sisters. Her sister Catherine Green married Holden C. Mills, a cousin of William B. Mills. Sister Eleanor Green was a nurse in the United States for many years. Her sister Frances Green married James N. Clark and lived in Pittsfield, Massachusetts. On 10 December 1878, Henrietta married William B. Mills (1854-1922). William and Henrietta had four children, including Caroline, Ernest, Emma, and Harry.

Mills, William B.

William B. Mills (1854-1922) came to Prince Edward Island from St. John’s, Newfoundland with his older brother Arthur P. Mills around 1860. For many years he ran a general store in Summerside. At the time of his death he had a sister, Mrs. John Pearce in Toronto, and another sister, Lousa Irving in St. John’s. On 10 December 1878 William married Henrietta Green (1857-1950), daughter of Harry C. Green (1817-1918). William and Henrietta had four children, including Caroline, Ernest, Emma, and Harry.

Bonnie Brae Inn

The Bonnie Brae Inn operated at 67 (formerly 64) Central Street, Summerside from 1947 until 1952. The large two and a half storey building, which had previously accommodated travellers as the Mawley House, was constructed in 1907 by J. M. Clark for Jane and Caroline Mawley after their first hotel burned in the 1906 Summerside fire. The proprietor of the Bonnie Brae Inn in the 1950 PEI Directory was listed as Lloyd Anderson. It was advertised as having running water in every room and a dining room that stayed open until 11 p.m. Guests from as far away as British Columbia, Florida, and England stayed for rates varying from two to four dollars a night.

Powell, Bruce

Bruce Powell grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba and trained in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the early days of World War II. He came to Prince Edward Island in 1943 to be an instructor at the No. 1 General Reconnaissance School at the RCAF Station Summerside. He and another officer roomed with the Wyatt sisters at 85 Spring Street. Bruce maintained a lifelong friendship with Wanda Wyatt and kept in touch with her from his home in Calgary. He last visited Summerside in 1989.

Green, William E.

William E. Green of Toronto is a descendant of the United Empire Loyalist Daniel Green who settled in 1795 on the land that is now the City of Summerside in Prince Edward Island. The family lineage follows from Daniel to Israel (1792-1869) to James Ira (1845-1893) to Benton Walter (1882-1942), the grandfather of William E. Green. Benton Green moved to Halifax around 1917 where he worked as a manager with the firm of Wood Brothers. He married Ella Jean Dowling of Summerside in 1909 and they had three children, including Kenneth (1910-1998), the father of William E. Green.

Hopkirk, John (Jock)

John (Jock) Hopkirk (1913-1998) was born in Glasgow, Scotland and came to Canada as a young man. He left a job with the Tanton Lumber Company in Summerside, Prince Edward Island to enlist with the Air Force in 1940 and was posted to RCAF Station Summerside. He married Margaret Curtis (1916-2003) of Freetown. After the war ended he ran a second-hand shop called The Trading Post on Water Street and later established himself as a stockbroker with Richardson Securities, which had a second-floor office in the building on the northeast corner of Water and Summer Streets. He was a member of the Y’s Men, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Caledonia Club. His wife Margaret was also active in community organizations, including a local art club. The couple raised two sons, Gerald and John.

Hopkirk, Margaret (Curtis)

Margaret Curtis (1916-2003) was born in Freetown, Prince Eward Island. She married John (Jock) Hopkirk (1913-1998) of Glasgow, Scotland, who had come to Canada as a young man. The couple had two sons, Gerlad and John. Margaret was active in community organizations, including a local art club.

Green, Owen

Owen Green of Seawood Estates, Breadalbane, Prince Edward Island, is a descendant of Israel Green (1792-1869), whose father Daniel Green, a United Empire Loyalist, settled on land in what is now the City of Summerside. One of Israel Green's sons was Owen Green (1841-1903), who resided with his wife, Janet Morrison, in Founds Mills located seven miles east of Kensington, PEI. They raised eight children including Angus (1885-1972), the father of (George) Owen Green (b.1937) who spent several years collecting historical information about the Greens in Prince Edward Island, publishing a booklet in 1997 about his branch of the family.

Kirk, James (Family)

James Kirk (1813-1869) was born in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. He and his wife Ellen MacRae (1811-1891) first emigrated to British Guiana and later came to Prince Edward Island, Canada around 1855. They made their home in Lot 16 and raised seven children including Robert (1839-1932) who had been born in Scotland. He married Rose Ann Cosgrove in 1885 and had seven children, the last being born in the United States after the couple separated. Robert placed the three oldest children with other families. Alexander MacLean of Lot 16 adopted James (1889-1980) who stayed in PEI until 1907 when he went out to Manitoba to find work. He was eventually hired by the Canadian Pacific Railway in Medicine Hat, Alberta. He left his job in 1914 to serve overseas with the 3rd Mounted Rifles and while in England married Dorothy Mockett (b.1894) of Sussex in 1918. They returned to Medicine Hat and in 1933 moved to Calgary. James worked for the railway for 44 years. The couple had two children, Ralph (1919-1979) and Beryl b.1921) who spent most of her working life in Vancouver.

Results 11 to 20 of 111875