Showing 53740 results

Authority record

Savidant, Diana (Lemire)

Diana Lemire was born in Rouyn, Quebec in 1943. She met her future husband Allan Savidant (b. 1944) in Ottawa where he was employed with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. In 1973 the couple moved to his home community of Summerside, Prince Edward Island where she taught art and honed her skills as a painter and he worked as business superintendent of the local school district. Diana Lemire Savidant’s works were displayed at various exhibitions and many pieces were sold to individuals across Canada and the United States, with her husband acting as her business manager. A major exhibit of her paintings of local heritage buildings held at the Eptek National Exhibition Centre in 1992 was titled “Of Merchant, Fox, and Sail.” Most of the pieces were later donated to the Prince County Hospital Foundation and were put on displayed at the new Prince County Hospital that opened in 2004. Another major exhibit in which both Savidants were involved was “Spirit of the Light” held in Summerside in 1995. Diana Savidant died suddenly in 1994, but Mr. Savidant and the other artists participating in the project carried it to completion.

Horne, Fred

Fred Horne is the archivist at the MacNaught History Centre and Archives located in Summerside, Prince Edward Island.

Bishop Foundry and Machine Shop

Elias Bishop (1812-1895) and his son George A. (1838-1923) had a black smithing shop on Spring Street in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, in the 1860s. They were well known for making mussel mud diggers, iron ploughs and other farm machinery. Between 1873 and 1877 George established the Summerside Foundry on the corner of Water and East Streets and from 1879-1883 was in partnership with Thomas Campbell. Prior to 1900 his sons began working with the firm, Elias (1870-1951) as a moulder and Thomas (1879-1958) as a machinist. By 1909 the business name was George Bishop & Son, the son being Elias. Ten years later, it was known as George Bishop and Sons Foundry with Elias as President and Thomas as Vice-President. They carried on after their father's death until early 1935 when a decision was made to split the business. Elias worked in the foundry until 1946 when ill health forced him to retire. The building was rented for 22 months to Bruce Stewart Ltd. Of Charlottetown. Thomas ran his business as Bishop's Machine Shop until 1949 when it became Thomas H. Bishop & Son, leaving Ralph (1910-1991), son of Thomas, as sole owner in 1958. He continued to operate the shop at 101 Water Street until the mid 1970s. The building was closed up with machinery and tools intact and in 1998 was purchased by the City of Summerside for future restoration.

MacKinlay, Thomas

Thomas MacKinlay was a draughtsman from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

Mills, Holden C.

Holden Compton Mills (1853-1927), the son of Benjamin S. Mills (1820-1893) and Virginia F. Compton (1819-1892), spent most of his early years in St. Eleanors, Prince Edward Island. His parents married in 1849 and lived for a short time in York, Ontario where Holden was born. Benjamin farmed and milled flour. Holden assisted his father and eventually established himself as a flour and oyster dealer with an office on Water Street in nearby Summerside. By the early 1900's he was specializing in the shipment of Malpeque oysters mainly to Quebec and Ontario. He had started in the oyster industry during its peak in 1882 and survived in business throughout the decline caused by over-fishing and seabed damage and then the setback in 1915 due to "Malpeque disease". By 1922 the oyster stocks began to recover and Holden continued with his shellfish export until December 1926 when failing health forced his retirement. In the 1920's he became involved with the booming fox fur industry and was president of the Pavilion Silver Fox Company Ltd. In 1925. In 1881 he married Catherine Green (1856-1944), the eldest daughter of Harry Compton Green who served for many years as Postmaster in Summerside. Around 1898 the Mills moved into a large home designed for them by William Critchlow Harris at 168 Central Street, Summerside. They had one child who died at 1-½ years. H.C. Mills served for years as a warden in the St. Mary's Anglican Church. His obituary noted him to be "one of the outstanding figures of Summerside. . . actively identified with the business and social life of the town".

Preedy (Family)

Thomas Preedy (1803-1874) and Frances Moore (1800-1890), emigrated prior to 1848 with 6 children and settled in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Thomas and Frances worked for many years as keeper and housekeeper of the Colonial Building and the family lived in the basement of the building. In 1858, their daugthter Hannah married William Henry Rawle Ellis (1836-1909), youngest son of Robert Ellis (1797-1872) and Hannah Darby (1798-1891) of Summerside, PEI. Hannah’s husband, William, moved to New Zealand sometime after 1860, remarried, and died there years later. Hannah presumably lived with her sister Clarissa who had married William Weeks of Charlottetown in 1867. She died in their home at age 40. Hannah and William had one child, Robertina (1859-1889). In the 1881 census, she was described as unsound and was living with her grandmother Hannah Ellis and aunt and uncle Elizabeth Caroline Ellis (1832-1915) and Harry Compton Green (1817-1918) in Summerside.

Ellis (Family)

William Henry Rawle Ellis (1836-1909), youngest son of Robert Ellis (1797-1872) and Hannah Darby (1798-1891) of Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Robert Ellis came from Bideford, England as a cabinet-maker and the interior of St. John’s Anglican Church in St. Eleanors is evidence of his workmanship. William married Hannah Irons Preddy (1833-1873) daughter of Thomas Preedy (1803-1874) and Frances Moore (1800-1890) who emigrated prior to 1848 with 6 children and settled in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. William moved to New Zealand sometime after 1860, remarried, and died there years later. Hannah presumably lived with her sister Clarissa who had married William Weeks of Charlottetown in 1867. She died in their home at age 40. Hannah and William had one child, Robertina (1859-1889). In the 1881 census, she was described as unsound and was living with her grandmother Hannah Ellis and aunt and uncle Elizabeth Caroline Ellis (1832-1915) and Harry Compton Green (1817-1918) in Summerside.

Brennan, Rosara Lefurgey

Rosara Lefurgey Brennan was born 24 April 1858 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Her parents were the Hon. John Lefurgey (1824-1891) and Dorothea Read (1834-1911). Their first child died at 10 months, so Rosara Millicent grew up as the eldest of nine siblings. John Lefurgey was a prominent shipbuilder and merchant as well as a 20-year member of the provincial legislature. In 1871 he bought and enlarged a spacious house at 205 Prince Street for his large family. Rosara attended Mount Allison Ladies College in Sackville, N.B. and then in September 1881 married William Arthur Brennan (1851-1916) who had moved to PEI in 1876 from Louisville, Kentucky. He worked as a journalist for A.L. Graves of the Summerside Journal and later bought the company, which remained in the family for three generations. In addition to his publishing and editorial career, he was a shareholder and director of several Canadian and U.S. mining companies. The Brennans lived in a large home called Parkside a few blocks from the Lefurgey house. Their three children were Arthur Roland (1882-1951), Charles Victor (b. 1887) and Dorothy Jean (b. 1888). C. Victor became a mining engineer and worked in Utah and later Seattle, Washington and Dorothy married James Claude Sharp of Summerside who lived and practiced medicine in Edmonton, Alberta. Arthur took over the family business and Rosara lived with him and his wife Florence Alward at Parkside after her husband's sudden death in 1916. Rosara took an active role in caring for the home and her three grandsons, William Roland, Charles Arthur and John Robert. Mrs. W.A. Brennan, as she often wrote her name, served as Regent of the Abegweit Chapter I.O.D.E, was President of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and attended St. Mary's Anglican Church. She was involved in bridge and tea parties with other women of her class and was close to her family, particularly her sister Cecelia who lived nearby with her husband Ned Wyatt. Rosara was a student of spiritual matters and was an avid reader and letter writer. In November 1934, she moved to Edmonton to live with her daughter. When she died 17 Sept 1942, her remains were sent home to Summerside. A lengthy obituary referred to her as "a lady of highly cultured attainments".

Results 31 to 40 of 53740