Contribution de Swift Canadian Co. Limited à l'Effort de Guerre Total du Canada par l'intermédiaire du Progrmame National de Saine Alimentation
Showing 58134 resultsAuthority record
Née à Sainte-Marie, elle est devenue....
Les racines de l'église St-Basile à St-Basile, dans le comté du Madawaska au Nouveau-Brunswick, remonte à 1786 ou 1787 et ce, à partir du moment où une chapelle en bois fut ériger en cet endroit sous l'administration du Père Adrien Leclerc. À l'origine, la mission de St-Basile était de servir les croyants du territoire du Madawaska et celui du long de la vallée de la rivière du St-Laurent allant jusqu'à Ste-Anne, près de Fredericton. Le 12 novembre 1792, une permission fut accordée afin de procéder à la construction d'une nouvelle chapelle en bois à St-Basile et qui fut nommé d'après St-Basile Le Grand. La construction et la bénédiction eut lieu en 1793, ce qui fit de St-Basile une des paroisses les plus anciennes du Nouveau-Brunswick; c'est-à-dire, troisième après Memramcook (1781) et Caraquet (1784). L'Évêque Joseph-Octave Plessis ordonnait la construction d'une troisième chapelle qui débuta en 1811 et s'acheva en 1818. En 1856, la construction de l'église St-Basile au Madawaska commençait sous la supervision de Père Langevin. Quatre ans plus tard, soit en 1860, elle ouvrait ses portes pour célébration de la liturgie et était achevée en 1863. En 2001, la paroisse de St-Basile du Madawaska servait toujours les fidèles. Sources «Tending the flock: Bishop Joseph-Octave Plessis ans Roman Catholics in early 19th century New Brunswick», by John Jennings (New Ireland Press, 1998). «History of Madawaska», by Father Thomas Albert, 1920.
Jean Albert was born in 1867 and married Emma Godin in 1896. In 1948, at the age of 81, he recorded the family history so that it could be passed on to his children and grandchildren. His father's family came to Canada from Normandy, France in 1760 and settled along the banks of the Restigouche River, New Brunswick. His maternal ancestors of the Patience family arrived in the area in 1823.
Under the Education Act of 1871, the province of New Brunswick was divided into small school districts which were to be run by local inhabitants. District #5 in Caraquet parish was one such district with the responsibility for administering the finances of the local government supported, non-sectarian schools.
This cahier was used by Théophile Allard, who was attending the Seminaire de Nicolet in 1862-1863, the year he used this particular textbook and notebook. Several pages were added to the original text as he used it.
John Josselyn was one of a group of Glasgow University students who, on Christmas Eve 1951, stole the Stone of Scone or Stone of Destiny, from Westminster Abbey in London. The Stone was later returned and the students were not charged. They were members of the Scottish Covenant Association, a group striving for reform and self government in Scotland. Many Scottish nationalists believed that the Stone, which had been brought to London by Edward 1, rightfully belonged in Scotland. In 1986, a London newspaper reported that Josselyn claimed on his death bed that the Stone returned to the Abbey was a replica and the real Stone was still hidden in Scotland. William Fillmore lived in or near Amherst, Nova Scotia in 1955, and was a member of a Scottish cultural group there. He appears to have written to Josselyn and other Scottish Nationalists offering support and proposing to write about the incident.
The Nurses Association of New Brunswick (NANB), the professional association of all New Brunswick nurses, was formed in 1916 with the passage of the Registered Nurses Act. By the Nurses Act of 1984, the 21-member board of directors of the NANB continues to be responsible for regulating the nursing profession in the province. The association has been referred to, on various occasions, as the New Brunswick Nurses Association and the New Brunswick Association of Registered Nurses. The NANB is a member of the Canadian Nurses Association, a national federation representing the nursing profession at the national and international levels. The president of the NANB is a voting member of the CNA board of directors. Through the CNA the NANB is represented on the International Council of Nurses and is involved in activities that influence the nursing profession throughout the world. In 2001 the Nurses Association of New Brunswick main office is located on Regent Street in Fredericton.
Albénie J. Violette, the son of Sarah Levasseur and Germain Violette, was born at St. Léonard, Madawaska County, New Brunswick on 6 October 1873. On 16 April 1894 he married Marie Annie Akerley (Memery, Mamary), and they had no fewer than 11 children, including Marie Blanche Hélène, Frederick Henry, Mary Edna, Charles Dollard, Léonard G., and Émile. A. J. Violette lived briefly in the state of Maine, but lived most of his life in the parish of St. Léonard. Prominent in the community, he owned and operated a number of businesses -- S. J. Violette Woodworking Factory, The Brunswick Hotel, St. Léonard Brick Yard, St. Léonard's Fox Farm, The Hammond hotel (Van Buren, Maine), Martin & Violette (general store), and A. J. Violette car dealership. During the Prohibition years, he ran a lucrative rum-running, moonshine, and bootlegging business that crossed provincial and international lines. Several of his children were involved in these illegal enterprises. A. J. was a prominent member of the Progressive Conservative Party for many years. He died on 24 April 1928. A. J. Violette's sons, Émile F. and Leonard G., both served overseas during the Great War. Émile was with the Second Divisional Signaling Company, Second Canadian Division in France. Following his return to Canada in 1916, he was appointed Special Recruiting Officer for Madawaska County. Later he moved to the United States, residing in Portland and Presque Isle, Maine and in Berlin, New Hampshire where he was manager of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. In addition to his overseas service in the First World War, brother Léonard acted as Civilian Recruiting Advisor for Madawaska County in the 1940s. He was also a member of the Edmundston branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Like his father, Léonard was involved in a number of enterprises. He operated Len's Service & Filling Station, the Hotel Brunswick, and was involved in the rum-running operation and probably the car dealership. Source: When Rum was King by B. J. Grant, 1984.