Fonds - Ahousat United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Ahousat United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    Ahousat United Church

Physical description area

Physical description

10 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

A Presbyterian mission was established among the Ahousat (also spelled Ahousaht in earlier records) Indians in 1895 on the west coast of Vancouver Island, and with the formation of the United Church of Canada in 1925, it became Ahousat United Church. Besides a church, the records indicate an Indian school was also operated by the mission which was sponsored by the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church and later also received support from the Board of Home Missions of the United Church of Canada. In 1962 the federal government assumed full responsibility for the school. The congregation itself was, based on yearbook statistics, a port of call for the West Coast Marine Mission from ca. 1954 to 1976. Thereafter, it has either been part of the Long Beach Pastoral Charge or has received pastoral supply from Long Beach. No evidence of common internal administrative divisions besides a church board are given by the records.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of Ahousat United Church and its predecessor, Ahousat Presbyterian Church. Records include Baptism register (1919-1957), Baptismal Certificate stubs (1935-1937), Birth records (1904-1944), Marriage registers (1923-1957), and Death records (1904-1957); Indian Court proceedings (1914, 1955); Communion roll (1951-1954), Membership roll (1958-1962); Church Board minutes (1951-1963), Congregational meetings minutes (1953-1963), Christian Temperance Union of the Ahousat Indians pledge and constitution (1951); Christian Education building dedication (1963); Cash book (1952-1962).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list available.<br /><a href="http://www.bc.united-church.ca/archives/fond/AHO_AH.pdf">Online Finding Aid</a>

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: UCCBC-105

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres