Fonds - All Saints' Parish (Agassiz, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

All Saints' Parish (Agassiz, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1883-1993 (Creation)
    Creator
    All Saints' Parish (Agassiz, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

.28 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The history of All Saints goes back to the building of alternate routes to gold fields through the Fraser Canyon and to the increased number of people who moved to Yale (ca. 1860). The Bishop at that time was Bishop Hills. Anglican services began in Agassiz from 1888 through 1892 under the auspices of the Fraser Missionary District, as part of the Diocese of New Westminster. The matter of building a church in Agassiz was taken up in 1882 and subscriptions were commenced by Mrs C. Agassiz who also donated the land where the church now stands. The church was built and opened for service on 1896, August 23. Between 1892 and 1911 the parish boundaries extended from Yale to Harrison River. Agassiz remained connected with Yale and Hope until 1911. A rectory was built in 1913 and the church's history knew a steady time: All Saints' had its own priest living next to the church; the congregation was growing; a Sunday School and a Young Men's Bible Class were formed. Agassiz went through difficult financial times between 1918 and 1940. The Sunday School attendance dropped by fifty per cent. During the 1930's and 1940's All Saints' was again associated with Yale and Hope. A Ladies Guild was formed in 1934, a very dedicated group of women who had many successes in fund-raising activities. The years from 1955 to 1959 were described as a time of revival for All Saints'. The congregation was growing, two youth groups were formed. In 1963 Archdeacon Watney, consequent to an inspection of the rectory, instructed Reverend Davenport to dispose of it. In 1963 it was decided that All Saints' Agassiz and St. Peter's Rosedale would merge. A new era began for All Saints' in 1971 when it became part of a geographical parish team known as a Team Ministry Parish. All Saints' was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish from 1971 to 1986. The parish of Fraser-Cheam was dissolved in 1986 when it was felt that the parishes involved in Team Ministry should become self-supporting units. All Saints', Agassiz became a single point parish in 1987.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of vital statistics records, service registers, church committee records, parish publications, historical reference material, non-textual records. Includes Parish registers including Baptism registers (1893-1982), Confirmations registers (1913-1969), Marriage registers (1911-1973), Burial registers (1883-1892, 1912-1959, 1957-1983), Civil marriage registers (1922-1972); Service registers (1911-1993); vestry minutes and reports (1895-1963), financial ledger (1962-1971), property records (1946); church committee minutes (1895-1963); parish publications (predominant 1990); proposed church specifications architectural plans; graphic material; microfilmed material.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to civil marriage registers is restricted as per FOI laws of civil province of British Columbia.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory list available both on paper and in electronic format.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGNW-422

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres