Fonds - All Saints' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

All Saints' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1912-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    All Saints' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.63 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

All Saints, South Burnaby was initially within the parish boundaries of St. John, Central Park and began as the Alta Vista mission of that parish. Services were held in a store [1912] and then in a school and in private homes [1913]. The mission became a separate parish in 1913 and was named All Saints, Alta Vista by the Bishop, Adam de Pencier. The name was changed to "All Saints, South Burnaby" in 1950 and became "The Parish of All Saints, South Burnaby" when the parish was incorporated 1956. For many years, except for brief periods, the new parish was served by theological students, with the Rector of St. John, Central Park and other, often retired, clergy undertaking monthly sacramental duties. The first regular, long term rector began in 1932, and this pattern continues to the present. The first church building was erected on donated land, with the first service held in it in October, 1913. A church hall was completed in 1922 and a new larger church building in 1958 to serve the growing parish. The building was dedicated and the altar and sanctuary furnishings consecrated in October 1958. In 1967, the building debt was retired and the church was then consecrated by the Bishop. Further renovations have been made to parish buildings over the years to accommodate changing priorities. The parish continues to serve the south Burnaby area as it has done since 1912.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of consecration records, vital statistics records, service registers, vestry records, church committee records, parish organizations' records, historical reference material, and non-textual-records. Includes consecration of church leaflet (1967); Parish registers including Baptisms registers (1912-19390, Baptismal registers (1939-1965), Confirmation registers (1913-1998), Marriage registers (1912-1987), Banns of marriage registers (1955-1986), Civil marriage registers (1925-1983), Burial registers (1915-1984); Service registers (1911-1989); vestry minutes and reports together with church committee minutes (1921-1977), propoerty and building financial records (1928-1969); church committee minutes and reports (1921-1985); Church School minutes (1928-1969), Men's club minutes and register (1931-1935), Women's Auxiliary and Anglican Church Women minutes (1934-1974); parish history; parish publications including Pew leaflets (1935-1996), issues of Our Church Times, USA, and The Burnaby Post 2, discontinued issues of newsletters (Saints Alive, Laymen's Lookout, The Enlightener).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to civil marriage registers is restricted as per FOI laws of the civil province of British Columbia.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory list available both on paper and in electronic format.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGNW-386

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres