Fonds - All Saints' Parish (Westholme/Crofton, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

All Saints' Parish (Westholme/Crofton, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1885-2009, predominant 1892-1980 (Creation)
    Creator
    All Saints Parish (Westholme/Crofton, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

7.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Church of All Saints, Westholme, was completed by 1891 and consecrated in 1892. Prior to that, the Chemainus area was served by the Missionary at Cowichan during the early 1860s and services were held in private homes. By 1866 a priest was assigned to the Chemainus, Chemainus Mill, and Salt Spring Island District. Services ceased in 1887. In 1890 a missionary was appointed to Chemainus and the church was built in 1891. Chemainus and Westholme were affiliated with Cedar District from 1895 to 1897. Cedar was separated and Chemainus was served by the Archdeacon for Victoria in 1899 and by the Assistant Curate of Christ Church Cathedral in 1901, followed by the Archdeacon once again. Chemainus, Crofton and Westholme were formed into a parish in 1907. In 1928, the parish was known as "St. Michael's, Chemainus and All Saints', Westholme with Crofton." The Church of All Saints was destroyed by fire in the late 1970s. As of 1986, the congregation was served by St. Michael and all Angels, Chemainus. From 1995 onwards it was part of St. Michael and All Angels, Chemainus with All Saints, Westholme / Crofton. Services were held in the Crofton Hall in 1995. In 2005 All Saints resumed as a separate parish. The Parish of All Saints. Westholme, Crofton closed and was disestablished effective December 31, 2009.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of consecration documents (1892), parish registers, property records, vestry and committee minutes, reports, financial statements, and related documentation and correspondence. Parish registers include: baptisms (1885-1980), confirmations (1938-1948), banns (1911), marriages (1891-1977), burials (1887-1982), and services (1894-1938).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGBC-201

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Rules for Archival Description

Status

Revised

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised February 2010

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area