Fonds - Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1874-1999 (Creation)
    Anglican Parish of St. Paul, Trinity, Trinity Bay, NL

Physical description area

Physical description

65.5 cm of textual records
22 architectural and cartographic drawings
20 photographs
2 paintings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Anglican Congregation at Trinity dates back over 270 years. The Reverend Robert Kilpatrick established the first mission at Trinity in 1729, and it is generally thought that the first church was built at that time. On May 23rd, 1820 the pillars of a new church were laid. This church, similar in design to many English churches of the time, had an upstairs gallery and could seat over 600 people.

The present church was built in 1892. It was designed by American architect Stephen C. Earle and built by master builder Caleb Marshall. Two other churches of the same design are at Digby and Windsor, Nova Scotia. The church serves as the mother church of the Parish of Trinity.

Custodial history

The records were kept and maintained in the rectory of the parish of Trinity, and in St. Paul's Church.

Scope and content

The fonds contains records of the administration of the church of St. Paul's from 1874-1969, and includes the minutes of meetings of vestry, records of committees and boards, financial records, correspondence and invoices, vestry registers, clergy's records, some legal documents re the acquisition of land, and seating plans for both the old and the new church. Other records include photographs of the present and the former church, as well as portraits of many of the rectors of the parish; a full set of plans for the building of the church by architect Stephen J. Earle; a painting by J. S. Hayward of the Anglican Cathedral of St. John's; and visitors' books.

The records have been organized in 11 series according to form and function; Series 1: Minutes of Vestry, 1874-1958; Series 2: Committees and Boards, 1892-1945; Series 3: Financial Records, 1879-1964; Series 4: Correspondence, 1905-1960; Series 5: Vestry Registers, 1913-1921; Series 6: Clergy's Records, 1881-1969; Series 7: Legal documents, 1895; Series 8: Sunday School, 1904-1913; Series 9: Visitors' Books; Series 10: Plans and blueprints, [1892 - 1980]; Series 11: Photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The majority of the records were donated by the Rector of the Parish of Trinity, the Rev. G. Colbourne, July 2000. The remainder were located in the Church tower. They were subsequently transferred to the archives.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

The church plans, photographs and paintings will not be available until they have received conservation treatment.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Some of the material in this fonds may be protected by copyright. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright clearance when appropriate.

Finding aids

No finding aid available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Physical description

Photographs, 20" x 24" or smaller

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 23, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area