Title and statement of responsibility area
Archdeacon Kyran Walsh fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1809, 1839-1868 (Creation)
- Walsh, Kyran
Physical description area
1 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Kyran Walsh (1809-1868), Catholic priest, was born at Mencken, County Kilkenny, Ireland, in September 1809. Walsh died at Conception Bay on 4 September 1868 and is buried in the parish cemetery at Harbour Main. Walsh was an uncle of Revs. Michael and John Walsh who also served in Newfoundland.
Walsh was educated in the schools of his home parish and pursued his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary College, Waterford. Following completion of his course of studies in philosophy and theology, Walsh was invited by Michael Anthony Fleming, bishop of St. John's, to serve in Newfoundland. He was ordained a priest on 25 August 1839 by Bishop Fleming in the Presentation Convent Chapel, Cathedral Square, St. John's.
Rev. Walsh's first appointment was in the old Cathedral Parish, St. John's. Shortly after Rev. Walsh's arrival, Bishop Fleming decided to construct a new cathedral in the city. In preparation for this extensive project, Rev. Walsh supervised the gathering of the stone for the Cathedral. He also travelled in the United States collecting funds for the construction of the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (1840-42).
Rev. Walsh also introduced Newfoundland Catholics to the Irish temperance movement founded in Cork in April 1838 by Father Theobald Mathew. His efforts resulted in the establishment of the Newfoundland Temperance Society (and its successor organizations, the Total Abstinence Society and the Total Abstinence and Temperance Society). By 1850 the Total Abstinence Society, under its president Father Walsh, had branches in several communities including Torbay, Harbour Main, Brigus and Harbour Grace.
In 1850 Rev. Walsh was appointed parish priest of St. Mary's, St. Mary's Bay. Shortly afterwards Bishop Fleming recalled him to St. John's to continue his invaluable work on the construction of the Cathedral (1850-1857). Rev. Kyran Walsh also served as Vicar General to Bishop Fleming for several years.
In 1857 Fleming's successor, Bishop John Thomas Mullock appointed Rev. Walsh as the first parish priest of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Parish, Harbour Main, where he remained until his death in 1868.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records related to Archdeacon Kyran Walsh including canonical documents of ordination and appointment. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
All canonical documents are in Latin. Translation is available.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming fonds
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 16, 2013