Fonds - Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Assumption Parish (St. Mary's, N.L.) fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel
  • Document iconographique

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
  • Variantes du titre: St. Mary's Parish

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

17 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

Assumption Parish was established in 1834 and included the communities from Portugal Cove South to St. Vincents. However, Assumption Parish was divided twice. When Holy Redeemer Parish was established (ca. 1845), Portugal Cove South, Trepassey and St. Shotts were separated from Assumption Parish. In 1923, the communities of Peter's River, St. Stephen's, and St. Vincent's were removed from Assumption Parish to create Sacred Heart Parish. Assumption Parish currently includes the communities of Riverhead, Mall Bay, Coot's Pond, Path End, St. Mary's, Point La Haye and Gaskiers, with the parish church at St. Mary's.

The first parish priest assigned to Assumption Parish was Rev. James Duffy. However, priests visited St. Mary's prior to Father Duffy's arrival. Rev. Timothy Browne, for instance, who was stationed at Renews, performed 13 marriages at St. Mary's in 1825 and 1826.

By 1840 Rev. Duffy had established a church and school in St. Mary's; this church was dismantled in 1949 and rebuilt by 1950. Aside from the original school established by Rev. Duffy, a commercial school was opened in 1851. With the arrival of the Presentation Sisters to the parish in 1859, a convent school was established at St. Mary's.

Some of the communities in Assumption Parish also had their own church and school, including Riverhead and Mall Bay, which had a small chapel built sometime between 1895 and 1905 (replaced ca. 1963). Schools were also established in Mall Bay (1944), at the Gulch, Point La Haye (1943) and Gaskiers and Point La Haye (1951).

Parochial organizations in Assumption Parish included the Crusaders of Mary, the Children of Mary, the St. Anne Society and the Holy Name Society.

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of sacramental ledgers, including baptismal registers (1843-1948), illegitimates baptismal register (1901-47), marriage registers (1844-98) and death registers (1891-97, 1927-75). The fonds also includes financial statements (1915-30); documents related to parish property and buildings (1955-78); correspondence (1951-79); parish documents (1891, 1915-19); and parish boundaries (1985). There are also addresses prepared for the Bishop's visits (1951, 1961); one photograph and related records.

Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

The immediate source of the fonds is Assumption Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais
  • latin

Écriture des documents

Note de langue et graphie

English predominates. Some Latin documents included. No transcripts.

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

The following registers have been photocopied: St. Mary's baptismal registers (1843-1948); St. Mary's illegitimates baptismal register (1901-48); St. Mary's marriage register (1844-90); and St. Mary's death register (1891-97).

Restrictions d'accès

Restrictions on access apply. Consult the archivist.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.

Instruments de recherche

Box list available

Éléments associés

See Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of Assumption Parish. As well, see Holy Redeemer Parish fonds and Sacred Heart Parish fonds for records on communities that were once part of Holy Trinity Parish.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Brouillon

Niveau de détail

Moyen

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created - May 27, 2013

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés