Fonds MHCA0031 - Bonnie Brae Inn guest register

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bonnie Brae Inn guest register

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA PCNSWH MHCA0031

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1950-1952 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bonnie Brae Inn

Physical description area

Physical description

1 texual item

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Bonnie Brae Inn operated at 67 (formerly 64) Central Street, Summerside from 1947 until 1952. The large two and a half storey building, which had previously accommodated travellers as the Mawley House, was constructed in 1907 by J. M. Clark for Jane and Caroline Mawley after their first hotel burned in the 1906 Summerside fire. The proprietor of the Bonnie Brae Inn in the 1950 PEI Directory was listed as Lloyd Anderson. It was advertised as having running water in every room and a dining room that stayed open until 11 p.m. Guests from as far away as British Columbia, Florida, and England stayed for rates varying from two to four dollars a night.

Custodial history

The register was found in a cupboard in the basement of the house at 67 Central Street by Sterling Trainor. He was the landlord of the building, which was divided into rental apartments in the mid-1950s.

Scope and content

The register is a 200-page lined journal used to record the names and addresses of the travellers who stayed at the Bonnie Brae Inn from April 20, 1950 to October 16, 1952. The last entry is followed by several blank pages, presumably indicating the date the establishment ceased to take in overnight guests. Eight pages at the back of the book were used to make various notes regarding bookings and payments.

Notes area

Physical condition

The bottom spine area of the register is stained by water and mildew damage

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

NO RESTRICTIONS ON REPRODUCTION

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AID AVAILABLE

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

MacNaught History Centre and Archives

Accession 000.20.20

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area