Fonds CR-108 - Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

DMA CR-108

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1880]-1942 (Creation)
    Creator
    Brunswick Cannery (Canoe Pass, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

179.3 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Brunswick Cannery was built on Canoe Pass, Lot 187, Delta, in 1897, the second cannery built by Brunswick Cannery Co. (George Dawson, Alfred J. Buttimer and George I. Wilson), hence its original name, Brunswick No. 2. The cannery was acquired by the British Columbia Packers' Association in 1902/1903. The cannery continued to operate until 1930, except for two years, 1919 and 1920. After 1930 the cannery was used as a fish camp for the Imperial plant at Steveston, and then as net and boat storage. In 1961 the site was acquired as part of the Roberts Bank expropriation. In 1983 the now derelict and reduced buildings were demolished. The Anglo American Co. Ltd. (Francis G. Bell & Edward Ezra Penzer) built its cannery on Canoe Pass, Lot 61, Delta, in 1896. The British Colimbia Packers' Association bought the plant in 1902 and operated it until 1914. Mr. Bell became manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association. The British Columbia Packers' Association was chartered in the State of New Jersey in 1902. The goal of its initial organizers, Henry Doyle and Aemilius Jarvis, were to finance a merger of several cannery operations in British Columbia. By the spring of 1903, 42 canneries were transfered to the ownership of the Association, including the three canneries operated by Brunswick Cannery Co., and the cannery owned by Anglo American Co. Ltd. The Association reincorporated in the province of British Columbia in 1910 under the name British Columbia Packers Association. In 1914, in order to apply for a Dominion charter, a new company was formed, the British Columbia Fishing & Packing Company Limited, which became the operating company in 1921, buying the B.C. Packers Association. An amalgamation with Gosse Packing Company Ltd. in 1926 resulted in the company's last name change to British Columbia Packers Limited.

Custodial history

The fonds is made up of records recovered from the site of Brunswick Cannery at the time of the demolition of the buildings in 1983. Other records were collected in undocumented ways before being brought to the archives.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records generated by the operation of the Brunswick Cannery on Canoe Pass from 1897 to 1926, under the ownership of the Brunswick Cannery Company, and after 1902, under the ownership of the British Columbia Packers Association and British Columbia Fishing and Packing Company Ltd. The fonds also includes records belonging to the Anglo American Canning Company Ltd. probably because the company's president, Francis Griffin Bell, became the manager of Brunswick Cannery for the Association in 1902. The fonds includes licenses, contracts, financial and fishermen's records generated by daily operations, plant inventories, and correspondence. The records are not complete. The records reflect its operation as a branch of the British Columbia Packers Association and therefore give insight into the operation of the Association. The fonds has been arranged into 9 series: annual reports, correspondence, financial records, fishermen's records, Francis G. Bell family records, legal records, miscellaneous material, personnel records, and plant inventories.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions and file inventories are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: DMA-345

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area