Collection Acc4690 - Charlottetown Fire Department

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charlottetown Fire Department

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the photograph

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA PCA Acc4690

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    Unknown

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Provenance is unknown.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The accession consists of one photograph of five identified members of the Charlottetown Fire Department at a presentation during the banquet of 1967. The five individuals from left to right are: Bill Connell, Brendon Hennessey, John Squarebriggs Jr., Bill MacDonald, Gordon Stewart. The photographer is unknown.

The first hand operated fire engine was imported to Prince Edward Island in 1818 by Governor Smith. Two more engines were acquired between that date and 1855 when the City of Charlottetown was incorporated. In 1856 these three engines were turned over to the City's Fire Department. By 1877 there were six hand operated engines and one steam engine. Engines were stored in sheds at various locations around the city and each had its own captain, officers, and firemen. Charlottetown City Hall, which was completed in 1888, was to provide space for both civic and fire purposes and housed engines and horses of the Fire Department. Doors from the Fire Department opened unto Queen Street. A large addition to the west on Kent Street was made in 1916 to accommodate the newer chemical engines. Equipment continued to be upgraded over the years and the Department also established a Bureau of Fire Prevention which carried out inspections of public and other buildings, and carried out education activities such as Fire Prevention Week.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

PERMISSION FOR USE AND REPRODUCTION IS REQUIRED FROM THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES AND RECORDS OFFICE; QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AID AVAILABLE

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area