Fonds Acc2286 - Charlottetown Gas Light Company fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Charlottetown Gas Light Company fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA PCA Acc2286

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1855-1858, 1870, 1896 (Creation)
    Creator
    Charlottetown Gas Light Company

Physical description area

Physical description

.03 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Charlottetown Gas Light Company was incorporated on 16 April 1853 to supply the inhabitants of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, with gas light. A year later, a waterfront plant on the city's eastern edge began supplying gas to some 60 houses. In 1859 the company erected the first 11 gas street lamps on Queen and Grafton Streets and continued to add new lamps until by 1879, there were 125 throughout the city.

The Charlottetown Gas Light Company enjoyed a monopoly on supplying lighting for the city until 1885 when it lost the contract to the Royal Electric Company of Montreal, Quebec. With the loss of its major client, the Charlottetown Gas Light Company went into decline and ceased operations in 1898. Its assets were purchased by the Charlottetown Light and Power Company.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a day book of the Charlottetown Gas Light Company spanning the years 1855-1858. Information includes the date, the amount of cash received for gas light services, the name of the client, the amount of wages made to employees, and various other financial transactions of the company. Also in the fonds are three share certificates from the company, one dated 1870 and two dated 1896.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

PERMISSION FOR USE AND REPRODUCTION IS REQUIRED FROM THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES AND RECORDS OFFICE; QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AID AVAILABLE

Associated materials

Information for the administrative history is taken from "'A Lamp to Light their Paths': Lightening the Streets of Charlottetown" by Harry Holman in "Gaslights, Epidemics, and Vagabond Cows", Douglas Baldwin and Thomas Spira, editors.

SEE ALSO: Acc2653/7; Acc2881/508-512; Acc3353/1; Acc3466/HF76.167/1-4; and Acc3964/3-13.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Item # 4 is oversize

General note

The three share certificates were originally in Acc2292

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres