Title and statement of responsibility area
Cross Creek Women's Institute
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Women's Institute. Cross Creek Women’s Institute (York County)
Physical description area
10 cm of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Women’s Institute organization was founded in 1897 by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario, following the death of her son as a result of drinking impure milk. In 1911, at the suggestion of Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick, a meeting was held to introduce this organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1950, hundreds of branches of the Women’s Institute were organized across the province.
The Cross Creek, York County Women’s Institute was organized on August 1, 1940. Mrs. Philip Kirby was elected President and Mrs. Robert Moss was selected as the first Secretary.
Like other branches of the Women's Institute, the Cross Creek women worked to make improvements in their homes, community and local schools. Additionally, they made the following contributions to the war effort: socks, cigarettes and chocolate were distributed to the local boys who were fighting overseas; money, socks and quilts were given to aid Red Cross relief work. The Institute also made financial contributions to the war work of the Salvation Army. A mobile kitchen fund was put into place just after the war (October 1945) and money was donated to the Military Hospital Fund. They also collected meat coupons for "Save the Children Fund."
In the local community, the efforts of the Institute were also evident in several areas. Funds were regularly given as needed for the provision of comforts to the sick. Used linen was collected and donated to the Stanley Hospital. Scribblers, pencils, kleenex, a flag, a foldaway cot and in the 1950s, money towards school lunches, were some of the gifts given to the local schools. The I.O.D.E. offered free library books to the Institute, which in turn passed them along to the schools.
This Institute also donated money to the Ceylon Flood Relief Fund, Boy Scouts, made layettes for the Far East and generally provided help as their funds and ability permitted. Bring and Buy sales, making quilts for sale and gifts, and collecting pennies and members dues helped fund Institute work in Cross Creek.
The Cross Creek Women's Institute disbanded on April 12, 1969.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the Cross Creek Women’s Institute Record Books,which include Minutes, 1940-1965, financial and membership records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Velma Kelly, July 13, 1992.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick holds the records of a number of provincial branches of the Women's Institute.