Collection Acc4339 - Cundall home (YWCA)

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cundall home (YWCA)

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title taken from verso of photograph

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA PCA Acc4339

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 193-] (Creation)
    Creator
    Unknown

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Provenance is unknown.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This collection consists of a photograph taken from the northwest side of the house showing the gardens in front as well as the architectural detail of the house and porches. It was taken in the 1930's when the house operated as a Young Women's Christian Association residence.

In 1875 James Peake Junior, eldest son of James Ellis Peake and senior partner in Peake Bros. & Co. purchased West End House and the northern portion of property owned by J.S. Carvell on the corner of West and Kent Streets in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The house was moved across West St. and in its place James & his wife Edith Constance Alice (Haviland) commissioned "Beaconsfield", named for Benjamin Disraeli, Earl of Beaconsfield, and designed by William Critchlow Harris in a blend of Italianate and Second Empire styles. A mixture of poor personal finances and involvement in the ill-fated Bank of Prince Edward Island caused the Peakes to lose the house to Henry Cundall, holder of the mortgage, in 1882. The Cundall family lived in the house from the fall of 1883 until July of 1916. It was then renovated by the Cundall Trust as a home for friendless young women but it is uncertain if it was ever used in this capacity. It did operate as a YWCA for some of the period between 1916 and 1936 at which later date it became a nurse's residence. In 1973 it was deeded from the government to the PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation. In the 1990s Beaconsfield was redecorated as an example of a Victorian residence and functioned as a museum as well as the headquarters of the Foundation.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Original was returned to the owner

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

PERMISSION FOR USE AND REPRODUCTION IS REQUIRED FROM THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES AND RECORDS OFFICE; QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AVAILABLE

Associated materials

For more detailed information about the house, SEE "The master of Beaconsfield", by Edward MacDonald and Betty Jean Beer in the "Island magazine", # 33, Spring-Summer 1993

Related materials

Accruals

General note

This copy print is located in the photograph binders in the Reading Room

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area