Fonds MC392 - Devon Fire Department

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Devon Fire Department

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: The title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Devon Fire Department was originally organized as St. Marys Water and Fire Department at a meeting held 1 April 1908. The volunteer fire company was to consist of 12 men, one captain, and one second captain, all to be elected at the annual meeting of ratepayers. It was to serve the community of St. Marys, located on the north side of the St. John River opposite Fredericton, New Brunswick. A. Wilfred Coombs was named the department's first captain and Walter Crouse, second captain. The town of Devon was incorporated in 1917 and included the former communities of St. Marys, Gibson, Nashwaak Station, North Devon, and South Devon. In November 1918 the St. Marys fire company, along with several others located in the amalgamated communities, became part of the Devon Fire Department, which was still functioning in 1933.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of this record prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a single item -- a minute book containing minutes of meetings of the St. Marys Water and Fire Department and of its successor, the Devon Fire Department. The bye-laws of St. Marys Water and Fire Department are included with the minutes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Mrs. Pat Oldham of Fredericton, N.B. on 16 February 1981. The fonds arrived at PANB by way of George Bidlake of the South Devon School.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

An inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres