- CA PCA Acc4398
- [ca. 1955]
This collection consists of an aerial photograph, taken ca. 1955, depicting the coliseum, barns, grandstand, and midway in operation during a Provincial Exhibition.
Provincial exhibitions have played a major role in the agricultural and social life of Prince Edward Island. The Charlottetown Driving Park and the Exhibition grounds and buildings have occupied the land next to the Hillsborough River west of the Hillsborough Bridge since the late 1880s. The grandstand was built in 1889, followed by a beautiful main building in 1890. This latter building was destroyed by fire in 1945 and its place was taken by the coliseum in 1952. The coliseum was replaced in preparation for the 1991 Winter Games by a much larger sports complex.