932 Balmoral Road
Victoria, British Columbia
First Metropolitan United Church Archives
First Metropolitan United Church, Victoria, was formed in 1996 with the amalgamation of Metropolitan United Church and First United Church. Prior to the union of Methodist, Congregational and some Presbyterian churches to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, these churches were Metropolitan Methodist and First Presbyterian. Metropolitan Methodist was earlier known as Pandora Avenue Methodist Church and Wesleyan Methodist Church.
With amalgamation in 1996, the Methodist church building was sold and became the Victoria Conservatory of Music and the Presbyterian building, built in 1914 at Quadra Street and Balmoral Road, became First Metropolitan United Church. Both founding congregations maintained archives and these merged to become First Met Archives.
First Metropolitan United Church (Victoria, BC) fonds, 1995- ; First United Church (Victoria, BC) fonds, 1862-1996; and, Metropolitan United Church (Victoria, BC) fonds, 1859-1996.
Also includes some records of First Congregational Church (Victoria, BC); Belmont Avenue United Church (Victoria, BC); Chinese United Church (Victoria, BC); and, the Oriental Home and School (Victoria, BC).
Database of holdings is maintained onsite
Access by appointment
2014 November 5