Title and statement of responsibility area
Hythe United Church fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title of fonds based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Hythe United Church
Physical description area
91 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Hythe United Church was first known as Happy Valley Mission, Methodist Congregation. Rev. Charles Hopkins, the Methodist minister, travelled from Lake Saskatoon to the Happy Valley/Hythe area and conducted services in their homes. In 1914 Rev. Hopkins helped them build a little log church on NE19-73-10-W6. In 1928, the log church was hauled into Hythe and settled on Lot 14, Block . The next year, Rev. Wallace Moss arrived in Hythe with his family and they settled into the newly constructed Manse located behind the church. By this time the congregation had grown so much that services were being held in the Masonic Lodge. A church building committee was formed with Rev. Moss, including members T.J. Thompson, Fred Hood, M.B. Mill, and Frank Phillips. A new building meant funds needed to be raised and a canvass began. Carl Anderson constructed a miniature of the church with an opening in the chimney for donations to be given. The contract was awarded to J.A. Leadbetter, which stipulated that the new church be completed in two months. It opened on June 29, 1930, but the first services were conducted in the basement. The upstairs was completed the following year. The dedication service took place on July 13, 1930 with Dr. R. B. Cochrane moderating, and Mrs. Erick Freeman as the organist. The first Sunday School Superintendent was Len Healy and Mrs. Meta (Sullivan) Lacey was the teacher. The Hythe United Church also had a very active Ladies Aid and their first congregational supper was held in October with approximately 100 people in attendance. The Hythe United Church held its last service on June 26, 2011. Members are now invited to attend service in Beaverlodge.
These copies of records from the Hythe United Church were deposited after it was decommissioned in 2011, by the last secretary of the Board of Directors, Elaine Baker. The original records are in the United Church Archives at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes and reports, photographs, membership records, annual reports, financial records, building records, records of the Women's Missionary Service/United Church Women, and a history of the Church.
Immediate source of acquisition
These records were donated to South Peace Regional Archives by Elaine Baker, the last secretary of the Board of Directors, in 2011.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original records are in the United Church Archives at the Provincial Archives of Alberta.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available at http://southpeacearchives.org/fonds-574-hythe-united-church-fonds/
No accruals are expected.
Accession number: 2011.68
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description created by TD on May 12, 2015.
Language of description