Showing 66 results

Archival description
Unknown Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

"Railway King" photograph : [ca. 1872]

  • CA PCA Acc2966
  • Collection
  • Photographed 1977

This collection consists of one photograph of a painting of the barque "Railway King", ca. 1872. The artist is unknown. The barque "Railway King" was built in Summerside on 12 December 1871 by James Colledge Pope. The sailing ship had 3 masts and 2 decks. She measured 166 feet long, 34 feet wide, 17 feet deep and weighed 789 tons. Her master was Captain Allan Finlayson of Vernon River. On 14 June 1872, she was turned over to merchant James Malcolm of Liverpool. She went down off Cape Canso, Nova Scotia on 9 December 1872.

Unknown

"Turret Bell" crew photograph : 1906

  • CA PCA Acc4920
  • Collection
  • 1906

The collection consists of one photograph of the original crew of the whaleback steamer "Turret Bell", ashore at Cable Head, Prince Edward Island, in 1906. The photographer is unknown and the individuals in the photograph are unidentified.

The ship "Turret Bell" was launched from Newcastle-on-Tyne, England in 1894. On 2 November 1906 the ship was blown off course and onto rocks off Cable Head, Prince Edward Island. The ship was a local viewing attraction for three years, until it was salvaged on 31 July 1909. The ship was towed to Charlottetown, then to Quebec for repairs, after which she returned to her work in coastal shipping and trading.

Unknown

1939 Royal visit photograph : [14 June 1939]

  • CA PCA Acc4882
  • Collection
  • Copied 2004

The photograph shows King George VI and Queen Elizabeth outside of Province House in Charlottetown during their visit to Prince Edward Island on 14 June 1939. The King and Queen can be seen shaking hands with a group of war veterans. The man shaking the Queen's hand in the photograph is Nicholas Murphy. In 1939 King George VI of England and his wife Queen Elizabeth made a month-long tour of Canada. They set sail for Canada on 6 May and travelled for nine days across the Atlantic Ocean. The King and Queen's first stop in Canada was Quebec City. On 14 June 1939, near the end of their tour, the royal couple visited Charlottetown, PEI.

Unknown

65 University Avenue photograph : [ca. 1895]

  • CA PCA Acc4171
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1895]

This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of building at 65 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1895. When this photograph was taken, the building was occupied by Bell Boot and Shoe Repair and E. F. Acorn Cleaning. The building housed Art's Taxi in 1991.

Unknown

Bank of Nova Scotia, Charlottetown hockey team photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4313
  • Collection
  • 1932-1933

This collection consists of a photograph of the Bank of Nova Scotia hockey team, 1932/33. Individuals are identified as follows:

Front row, left to right: Ralph Ramsay, Summerside; Ivan Sinclair, Charlottetown; Robin Cameron, Charlottetown; John Denny, Charlottetown; Herbie Desborough, Truro

Middle row, left to right: Stan Stewart, Victoria, PEI; Alan Mosher, Truro; Ed Owen, Charlottetown; Phil Meek, Canning, N.S.

Back row, left to right: Carl Tibert (Assistant Manager); Jud Logan, Grand Manan

The Bank of Nova Scotia opened its first branch on Prince Edward Island on 19 June 1882 in a building purchased from the defunct Bank of Prince Edward Island located at the northeast corner of Great George and King Streets. In 1883 it amalgamated with the Union Bank of Prince Edward Island and removed to that institution's building on the southeast corner of Great George and Richmond Streets. It continued to conduct business at this site until 1921 when it moved into new premises at Grafton and University where it remains today. (Information taken from "The Currency and medals of Prince Edward Island" by Robert J. Graham, Earle K. Kennedy, J. Richard Becker.)

Unknown

Boer War letter to James Robert Stewart

  • CA PCA Acc4999
  • Collection
  • 29 March 1900

This letter was written from Bloemfontein, South Africa on 29 March 1900 by "Lorne" during the South African Boer War and was sent to James Robert Stewart of Bayview, Prince Edward Island. In the letter, Lorne (whose surname is unknown) describes the conditions of soldiers in the British Army during the war. Lorne outlines how he was under fire four times, participated in one of the hardest marches ever performed by the British Army, slept in wet clothes, fought all day without eating, and drank from the Modder River as rotting horses, mules, oxen, and dead Boers floated by.

The creator is unknown, identified only as "Lorne".

James Robert Stewart was born 1 September 1864 and lived and farmed in Bayview, Prince Edward Island. In 1891, he married Jennie Ingles Bulman of New Glasgow. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart died in 1939 and 1940, respectively, and are buried together in the Cavendish / Presbyterian United Cemetery.

Unknown

Bridges of Prince County, Prince Edward Island

  • CA PCA Acc4706
  • Collection
  • [194?]

The collection consists of three photographs of bridges in Prince County, Prince Edward Island, i.e. Hatchery Bridge over the Dunk River, Beaton's Bridge and the bridge over Little Pierre Jacques. At least two of the three images were taken by L. H. Read, Summerside photographer.

Read, Lorne Hiram

Canadian National Railway tug of war team photograph : [1929]

  • CA PCA Acc4294
  • Collection
  • [1929]

This single collected item consists of an image depicting the members of the Canadian National Railway tug of war team in 1929. Individuals are identified as follows:

Standing left to right:
S. Duffy (manager), E. Cantwell, S.Hood, W.L. Munroe, B. Wood, G. MacKay

Seated left to right:
George Stewart, A. McEachern (captain), J. Leightizer (coach), L. Matheson, J. Strain, J.M. MacAlleer (anchor)

Unknown

Charles James and Eliza Dickieson photograph : [ca. 1900]

  • CA PCA Acc4410
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1900]

The collection consists of one photograph of Charles James and Eliza (Haslam) Dickieson, ca. 1900.

Charles James Dickieson was born at New Glasgow, Prince Edward Island, on 17 March 1834. As a young man he was an active member of the Tenant League, dedicated to the abolishment of leasehold tenure. In early 1866 he was sentenced to 18 months incarceration and a 50 fine for summoning his colleagues and physically resisting the deputy sheriff and bailiffs from serving writs for non-payment of rent. In 1871 he married Eliza Haslam, daughter of Joseph Haslam and Mary Weeks with whom he has three sons and two daughters. Charles died in December 1936 at the age of 102. Eliza died in 1940 at the age of 90.

Unknown

Charlottetown Fire Department

  • CA PCA Acc4690
  • Collection
  • 1967

The accession consists of one photograph of five identified members of the Charlottetown Fire Department at a presentation during the banquet of 1967. The five individuals from left to right are: Bill Connell, Brendon Hennessey, John Squarebriggs Jr., Bill MacDonald, Gordon Stewart. The photographer is unknown.

The first hand operated fire engine was imported to Prince Edward Island in 1818 by Governor Smith. Two more engines were acquired between that date and 1855 when the City of Charlottetown was incorporated. In 1856 these three engines were turned over to the City's Fire Department. By 1877 there were six hand operated engines and one steam engine. Engines were stored in sheds at various locations around the city and each had its own captain, officers, and firemen. Charlottetown City Hall, which was completed in 1888, was to provide space for both civic and fire purposes and housed engines and horses of the Fire Department. Doors from the Fire Department opened unto Queen Street. A large addition to the west on Kent Street was made in 1916 to accommodate the newer chemical engines. Equipment continued to be upgraded over the years and the Department also established a Bureau of Fire Prevention which carried out inspections of public and other buildings, and carried out education activities such as Fire Prevention Week.

Unknown

Results 1 to 10 of 66