Print preview Close

Showing 1 results

Archival description
Great Britain. Colonial Office
Print preview View:

St. Eleanor's jail and courthouse photograph

  • CA PCA Acc2960
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1864]

This fonds consists of one photograph of the St. Eleanor's jail and courthouse, ca. 1864.

In 1833, George Tanton was given the contract for the construction of a 3 story wooden structure to serve as the St. Eleanor's jail and courthouse. Twice annually (the first Tuesdays in June and October) a judge would travel from Charlottetown to St. Eleanor's to hold court sessions. These sessions lasted seven days. Open oral elections also took place here and often became very rough affairs. After the construction of a new jail and courthouse in Summerside in 1876, the St. Eleanor's structure was torn down, despite a petition that the establishment be appropriated to the community.