Showing 301 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island Collection English
Print preview View:

"Minding the House : a biographical guide to Prince Edward Island MLAs, 1873 - 1993" collection : ca.1880-2001

  • CA PCA Acc4879
  • Collection
  • Copied 2000-2001

This collection contains files on Members of the Legislative Assembly serving Prince Edward Island between 1873 and 1993. The files are arranged alphabetically by last name and contain draft biographical notes, copies of articles from books, newspapers and other publications, source checklists, copies of vital statistics documents, a small amount of correspondence and one portrait photograph of Marion Reid.

Association of Former Members of the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island

"Railway King" photograph : [ca. 1872]

  • CA PCA Acc2966
  • Collection
  • Photographed 1977

This collection consists of one photograph of a painting of the barque "Railway King", ca. 1872. The artist is unknown. The barque "Railway King" was built in Summerside on 12 December 1871 by James Colledge Pope. The sailing ship had 3 masts and 2 decks. She measured 166 feet long, 34 feet wide, 17 feet deep and weighed 789 tons. Her master was Captain Allan Finlayson of Vernon River. On 14 June 1872, she was turned over to merchant James Malcolm of Liverpool. She went down off Cape Canso, Nova Scotia on 9 December 1872.

Unknown

"Turret Bell" crew photograph : 1906

  • CA PCA Acc4920
  • Collection
  • 1906

The collection consists of one photograph of the original crew of the whaleback steamer "Turret Bell", ashore at Cable Head, Prince Edward Island, in 1906. The photographer is unknown and the individuals in the photograph are unidentified.

The ship "Turret Bell" was launched from Newcastle-on-Tyne, England in 1894. On 2 November 1906 the ship was blown off course and onto rocks off Cable Head, Prince Edward Island. The ship was a local viewing attraction for three years, until it was salvaged on 31 July 1909. The ship was towed to Charlottetown, then to Quebec for repairs, after which she returned to her work in coastal shipping and trading.

Unknown

1939 Royal visit photograph : [14 June 1939]

  • CA PCA Acc4882
  • Collection
  • Copied 2004

The photograph shows King George VI and Queen Elizabeth outside of Province House in Charlottetown during their visit to Prince Edward Island on 14 June 1939. The King and Queen can be seen shaking hands with a group of war veterans. The man shaking the Queen's hand in the photograph is Nicholas Murphy. In 1939 King George VI of England and his wife Queen Elizabeth made a month-long tour of Canada. They set sail for Canada on 6 May and travelled for nine days across the Atlantic Ocean. The King and Queen's first stop in Canada was Quebec City. On 14 June 1939, near the end of their tour, the royal couple visited Charlottetown, PEI.

Unknown

65 University Avenue photograph : [ca. 1895]

  • CA PCA Acc4171
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1895]

This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of building at 65 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1895. When this photograph was taken, the building was occupied by Bell Boot and Shoe Repair and E. F. Acorn Cleaning. The building housed Art's Taxi in 1991.

Unknown

A. B. LePage photographic collection

  • CA PCA Acc4545
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1860-1945]

The collection contains a daguerrotype of an unidentified man; images of members of the Campbell, Hartling, and Gallant families of Rustico; and three postcards: one of Jessie McKinnon and two of unidentified military groups in World War II.

LePage, A. B.

Al Mills collection

  • CA PCA Acc4338
  • Collection
  • 1874-[197-]

The collection consists of two photographs, one of a Grade 9 class at Prince Street School and one of a horse and wagon. Also included in the collection is a plan of the Blueshank Station Ground.

Mills, Al

Alexander McGregor Stewart certificate

  • CA PCA Acc5036
  • Collection
  • 1899

This item is an 1899 Canadian Order of Foresters certificate issued to Alexander McGregor Stewart in November 1899. The certificate is hand-coloured.

Stewart, Alexander McGregor

Alexander McKenzie land documents

  • CA PCA Acc4447
  • Collection
  • 1809, 1817

The collection is composed of two conveyances of land in Lot 24 to Alexander McKenzie of Brackley Point/Rustico: one of 100 acres from Samuel May Williams in 1809 and the second of 123 acres from James Hodges in 1817.

MacKenzie, Alexander

Alice (Clark) Atkinson collection : [1941]

  • CA PCA Acc4302
  • Collection
  • 1914-1991, Video copied 1993

The collection consists of one videocassette of a home movie taken by Alice Clark, memorabilia of World War 1 including photographs of a group of volunteers in Charlottetown and of Jack Allen McDonald, a postcard (1918), and an obituary and notes on Louise F. Dias, nee Stanley, widow of Ernest Muttart, first Canadian casualty in WWI, and two published volumes: Tales of Abegweit by Benjamin Bremner and a partial view booklet of PEI, circa 1900.

The video begins with the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, followed by scenes of the countryside taken from the train on a trip in 1941 from Ottawa to Prince Edward Island. The film contains street scenes of Charlottetown, including Queen Square, as well as shots of Mt. Stewart, Milburn, and the PEI landscape. Some footage takes place at a festival of Scottish games. Persons appearing in the film footage include Alice, Edna Glover, Roger Rousseau, Will and Muriel Cobb.

Atkinson, Alice (Clark)

Results 1 to 10 of 301