Print preview Close

Showing 99 results

Archival description
Unknown
Print preview View:

Charlottetown Fire Department

  • CA PCA Acc4690
  • Collection
  • 1967

The accession consists of one photograph of five identified members of the Charlottetown Fire Department at a presentation during the banquet of 1967. The five individuals from left to right are: Bill Connell, Brendon Hennessey, John Squarebriggs Jr., Bill MacDonald, Gordon Stewart. The photographer is unknown.

The first hand operated fire engine was imported to Prince Edward Island in 1818 by Governor Smith. Two more engines were acquired between that date and 1855 when the City of Charlottetown was incorporated. In 1856 these three engines were turned over to the City's Fire Department. By 1877 there were six hand operated engines and one steam engine. Engines were stored in sheds at various locations around the city and each had its own captain, officers, and firemen. Charlottetown City Hall, which was completed in 1888, was to provide space for both civic and fire purposes and housed engines and horses of the Fire Department. Doors from the Fire Department opened unto Queen Street. A large addition to the west on Kent Street was made in 1916 to accommodate the newer chemical engines. Equipment continued to be upgraded over the years and the Department also established a Bureau of Fire Prevention which carried out inspections of public and other buildings, and carried out education activities such as Fire Prevention Week.

Unknown

Prince Edward Island store ledger

  • CA PCA Acc4843
  • Fonds
  • 1832-1839, 1851, 1865

This item is a store ledger from an unknown location in Prince Edward Island. Though the specific origin of this ledger is unknown, some entries for individuals include place names. The localities given are primarily found in Prince County and include "Muscough" (Miscouche?), "Lot 16" (Central Lot 16), Grand River, Egmont Bay, "Murdecreek" (Muddy Creek?), and French Village (Queens County).

Unknown

"Turret Bell" crew photograph : 1906

  • CA PCA Acc4920
  • Collection
  • 1906

The collection consists of one photograph of the original crew of the whaleback steamer "Turret Bell", ashore at Cable Head, Prince Edward Island, in 1906. The photographer is unknown and the individuals in the photograph are unidentified.

The ship "Turret Bell" was launched from Newcastle-on-Tyne, England in 1894. On 2 November 1906 the ship was blown off course and onto rocks off Cable Head, Prince Edward Island. The ship was a local viewing attraction for three years, until it was salvaged on 31 July 1909. The ship was towed to Charlottetown, then to Quebec for repairs, after which she returned to her work in coastal shipping and trading.

Unknown

Leigh and Gertrude Ferguson crayon portrait

  • CA PCA Acc4951
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1904]

This photograph is a crayon portrait of Leigh and Gertrude (Sealey) Ferguson of Lot 48 on their wedding day in 1904.

Unknown

Photograph of Fred Dalziel

  • CA PCA Acc4953
  • Collection
  • 1949

This photograph is black and white image of Fred Dalziel on the road in a wooden cart drawn by his horse Queenie. Inscriptions on back of photograph read: "Fred and Queenie", "Ida from Will", "Sept. 1949."

Unknown

Prowse Bros. & Crowell fire sale photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4996
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1905]

The image is of a group of people posed in front of a temporary Prowse Bros. & Crowell building in Sydney, Nova Scotia. A fire sale sign offers big bargains on furs, clothing, ladies jackets, etc. The photographer is unknown and the individuals in the photograph are unidentified. The photograph is mounted.

The firm of Prowse Bros. began as a dry goods store in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island in the late 1870s or early 1880s. Both Lemuel E. Prowse (1858-1925) and his brother and junior partner, Benjamin C. Prowse (1862-1930), were prominent Charlottetown citizens, serving in provincial and federal governments. In the early 1900s L. E. Prowse moved to Sydney, Nova Scotia and opened a branch store, Prowse Brothers and Crowell, between 1903 and 1907.

Unknown

St. Peters North School class photograph : ca. 1945-1955

  • CA PCA Acc5161
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1945-1955]

The item is a ca. 2012 8x10 reprint of a black and white photograph of teacher Phyllis Morrison's class, St. Peters North School, ca. 1945-1955. The photograph was taken outdoors, likely next to the school. Individuals are not identified.

Unknown

MacDonald Mills photograph

  • CA PCNMPGG Fonds43
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1900]

This single collected item consists of a photograph of MacDonald Mills, later called Sutherland Mills Dam, ca. 1900. The photographer is unknown.

Unknown

Montague race track photograph

  • CA PCNMPGG Fonds45
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1920]

This single collected item consists of a photograph of the Montague Race Track, ca. 1920. Photographer is unknown.

Unknown

Results 91 to 99 of 99