Showing 1149 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island English
Print preview View:

1991 Canada Winter Games fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4191
  • Fonds
  • 1988-1991

The fonds consists of the following 5 series: Minutes of the Board of Directors; Minutes of the Board of Management; Studies of the Games; Miscellaneous Games publications; Photographs; and Videocassettes and Sound recordings.

Canada Winter Games (7th : 1991 : Charlottetown, P.E.I.)

65 University Avenue photograph : [ca. 1895]

  • CA PCA Acc4171
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1895]

This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of building at 65 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1895. When this photograph was taken, the building was occupied by Bell Boot and Shoe Repair and E. F. Acorn Cleaning. The building housed Art's Taxi in 1991.

Unknown

A Roman Catholic census of Charlottetown : [1878-1879] / Prepared for the Diocese of Charlottetown by Louis J. Daley

  • CA PCA Acc4323
  • Fonds
  • Transcribed 1993

This fonds consists of an typed transcript by Louis J. Daley of the information contained in the Roman Catholic Census of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken in 1878-1879. Every attempt was made to adhere to the original, leaving spelling errors intact. Although undated, comparisons with Canadian censuses and baptismal records put the date at 1878/79. The ledger from which this volume has been transcribed was found by Mr. Daley in the basement of the Bishop's Palace in Charlottetown in the summer of 1991.

The census contains extensive information about Catholics living in 716 households in Charlottetown. It documents household number, street, father's name, mother's maiden name, clergy officiating at the marriage, occupations, school attended by children in the family, and remarks. Occupations sometimes give employer's name as well, e.g. Baker @ Quirk's. Enumerators are supposed to have been Father Nazaire Charles Antoine Bouderault and Father Stephen Phelan, assistants at the cathedral parish at the time.

The Diocese of Charlottetown was created on 11 August 1829, largely through the efforts of Bishop Angus Bernard MacEachern. The Diocese encompasses all of the parishes on Prince Edward Island although it also originally included New Brunswick and the Magdalen Islands as well. St. Dunstan's parish is the largest parish within the Diocese, originally taking in all of the City of Charlottetown, with the parish church of St. Dunstan's, built in 1812, located in the heart of the city. As well as ministering to the spiritual and physical well-being of their congregations, it appears to have been the custom of the Diocese to do periodic censuses of their parishioners.

A Roman Catholic census of Charlottetown : [1886] / prepared for and donated to the Diocese of Charlottetown by Louis J. Daley

  • CA PCA Acc4408
  • Fonds
  • Transcribed 1994

This fonds consists of a transcription of the census containing the names of Catholics belonging to St. Dunstan's parish in 1886. This also included outlying communities such as Southport, East and West Royalty, parts of Lots 48 and 49 as well as North River and Cornwall. Entries include name, address, age, condition (apparently financial), and occupation. There is also a remarks column which may include school attended, physical infirmities, moral circumstances, and religious affiliation other than Catholic.

The Diocese of Charlottetown was created on 11 August 1829, largely through the efforts of Bishop Angus Bernard MacEachern. The Diocese encompasses all of the parishes on Prince Edward Island although it also originally included New Brunswick and the Magdalen Islands as well. St. Dunstan's parish is the largest parish within the Diocese, originally taking in all of the City of Charlottetown, with the parish church of St. Dunstan's, built in 1812, located in the heart of the city. As well as ministering to the spiritual and physical well-being of their congregations, it appears to have been the custom of the Diocese to do periodic censuses of their parishioners.

A Short description of the Island of St. John, in the Gulph of St. Lawrence, North-America : [25 June 1779]

  • CA PCA Acc4437
  • Fonds
  • 25 June 1779

This fonds consists of a pamphlet which appears to be one of Robert Clark's attempts to entice settlers to the colony of St. John's Island. Signed by various London merchants, it depicts an idyllic pastoral setting with great prospects of profit in agriculture, fishing, and commerce for those of an industrious and enterprising nature. All this was to be had for the purchase price of 100 per 500 acres or for a lease granted on "the most reasonable terms".

Clark, Robert

A tribute [to] Rev. Dr. Thomas Reagh Millman (1905-1996) / by Mrs. Ruth L. Paynter

  • CA PCA Acc4625
  • Fonds
  • 1998

This fonds consists of a volume which contains biographical sketches and reminiscences about Rev. Millman by the author and others as well as articles concerning the Millman Road by the author and Rev. Millman.

T. R. Millman was born near Kensington, Prince Edward Island, on 14 June 1905, the son of James Borthwick Millman and Lottie Everett (Smith). He attended Prince of Wales College and graduated from there in 1927. He continued his studies in the area of theology at University and Wycliffe Colleges in Toronto. From 1941- 1949 he was Rector of Dunham and St. Armand East, Quebec. He later taught church history at Huron College in London Ontario and at Wycliffe College in Toronto. He also served as Archivist of the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada from 1956-1975. Millman did extensive research on the Anglican church history in the Maritimes, specializing in the history of the Parish of New London. His publications include:

"Atlantic Canada to 1900, A History of the Anglican Church", 1983
"A History of the Parish of New London P.E.I.", 1959
"Canadian Anglican Journalism Journalism in the 19th Century", 1959
"Notes on the Early History of the Parish of Port Hill", 1944
"Publishers of Peace", 1942

Canon Thomas Millman died on 22 November 1996.

Paynter, Ruth L.

A. B. LePage photographic collection

  • CA PCA Acc4545
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1860-1945]

The collection contains a daguerrotype of an unidentified man; images of members of the Campbell, Hartling, and Gallant families of Rustico; and three postcards: one of Jessie McKinnon and two of unidentified military groups in World War II.

LePage, A. B.

A. E. Arsenault fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4135
  • Fonds
  • 1884-1995

This fonds is comprised of files, loose documents and photographs kept by Aubin Edmond Arsenault and his family. The fonds consists mainly of subject files containing memos, correspondence, and reports written by Arsenault relating to tourism, PEI Native People, and a variety of historical topics. A number of subject files contain material of a biographical nature including photographs of Arsenault as a young man and in a number of professional capacities. The fonds also contains drafts and a published copy of his memoirs as well as two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings of Legislative Assembly debates from April-May 1919.

The original file composition and file names given by A. E. Arsenault or his family were retained. Published material already held by the Prince Edward Island Public Archives and Records Office and material not directly related to A. E. Arsenault or Prince Edward Island was removed.

Arsenault, Aubin Edmond

A. G. (Toby) MacMillan fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4086
  • Fonds
  • 1944

The records consist of memorabilia of Course 104 of No. 2 Air Navigation School at Charlottetown, June - November 1944. The School was part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Included are a group photograph of the class, menu of the graduation dinner and a 16 page souvenir booklet containing information about the members of the class and literary(?) contributions.

McMillan, Toby

A. L. Morrison fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4277
  • Fonds
  • 1963, 1980

The fonds consists of the following two works by A. L. Morrison:

"A History of Grand Tracadie" [written by A. L. Morrison for the Grand Tracadie Home and School Association]. 1963

"My Island pictures; the story of Prince Edward Island", by A. L. Morrison. Charlottetown: Ragweed Press, 1980.

Morrison, A. L.

Results 11 to 20 of 1149