Print preview Close

Showing 99 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Unknown
Print preview View:

No. 2 Heavy Battery camp at Brighton photograph album

  • CA PCA Acc4240
  • Fonds
  • August-October 1915

The fonds consists of a photograph album containing 114 images taken of the officers and men of the No.2 Heavy Seige Battery and their camp at Brighton Road, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, while training for overseas duty between August and October 1915. The photographer is unknown. It is possible that the photographs were taken by J.H. McKay, a member of the Battery who was later killed in France. Each photograph originally had a number assigned to it by the owner which seems to indicate that they are part of a larger collection of an avid, well organised photographer. There are also some technical notations re. shooting.

The 2d Canadian Heavy Siege Battery was established in June of 1915 in response to efforts by Lt.-Col. Arthur G. Peake and other Prince Edward Island militia officers. It was to be a four gun unit with 6 inch howitzers and, after basic training in Charlottetown, was to proceed overseas with an authorized strength of 220. The majority of recruited men came from Prince Edward Island, with a few from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Great Britain and the United States. Before leaving for overseas a draft of regulars from the Royal Garrison Artillery were attached to the unit. From June until late fall the battery was stationed in tents on the Armoury grounds, Brighton Road, Charlottetown and introduced to army discipline and routine. On 26 November the Unit left Charlottetown on the Hochelaga for Pictou, N. S. and then travelled by train to Halifax where the men boarded the S. S. Lapland. Upon arrival at Plymouth Sound on December 5, they transferred to Roffey Camp at Horsham, Sussex for four months of training, followed by firing practice at Lydd. On 31 May 1916, the Battery crossed the Channel into France to join battle at the Somme, Vimy Ridge, Hill 70, and Passchendaele, moving on through Belgium and into Germany in late 1918. The Battery began its trek home from Mehlem, Germany, 4 February 1919, arriving in Halifax on 9 May 1919.


Northumberland Ferries photographs : [ca. 1950]

  • CA PCA Acc4122
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1950]

The collection consists of two photographs; one of the "Prince Nova", the first Northumberland Ferries vessel, at the ferry terminal wharf, the other of the Board of Directors of Northumberland Ferries Ltd.

Northumberland Ferries Ltd. was incorporated to operate in Prince Edward Island in 1939 having already obtained corporate status in Nova Scotia. It has operated the ferry transportation from Wood Islands to Caribou N.S. from that time until the present day. The "Prince Nova" was the first vessel to ply the Strait for Northumberland Ferries. Built in 1909, the passenger steamer was named "Waubic" until she suffered serious damage in a fire in 1938 and had to be rebuilt. From then until her arrival in P.E.I. in 1941, she was known as the "Erie Isle". From June of 1941 until the end of the 1957 season she was in service on the Wood Islands Caribou crossing and known as the "Prince Nova". She burned and was abandoned in July of 1959.


Officers Queen Square School Cadet Corps, Winners of the Brown Cadet Corps Trophy, 1917

  • CA PCA Acc3270
  • Fonds
  • 1917

This collection consists of one photograph of the officers of the Queen Square School Cadet Corps, 1917. Members are identified as follows:

Back Row, L-R: Herbert Doherty, Charles Jenkins, James Zaib, John J. Connolly, Arthur J. Byrne, John McQuaid and Anthony Francis

Front Row, L-R: Vernon Maddigan, M.E. Francis and Charles Doucette

In May of 1906 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, an Army Cadet Corps for senior boys was authorized by the Charlottetown Board of School Trustees, to be known as Number 148 Queen Square School Army Cadet Corps. The first Chief Instructor was Principal James Landrigan, a distinguished marksman. Most succeeding Principals and male teachers became qualified cadet instructors to carry on the well established tradition. The Army Cadet Program offered a opportunity to promote leadership, citizenship, sportsmanship and esprit de corps within a school. This Corps was reportedly one of the best corps in Headquarters Area, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.


Photograph of Fred Dalziel

  • CA PCA Acc4953
  • Collection
  • 1949

This photograph is black and white image of Fred Dalziel on the road in a wooden cart drawn by his horse Queenie. Inscriptions on back of photograph read: "Fred and Queenie", "Ida from Will", "Sept. 1949."


Pioneer hockey team photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4472
  • Fonds
  • 1911

The photograph is of the players, coach and referee of the Pioneer hockey team, junior PEI champions of 1911. The team was presumably sponsored by the Pioneer newspaper of Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Individuals are identified as follows:

3d row: H. Clark, referee; F. Johnston ?; J. Tamlyn, manager; J. Durant, l wing

2d row: F. Graves, goal; R. Godkin, point; W. Gallant, rover; F. McLeod, centre (Captain); F. Lyle, point

1st row: E. Houlton, spare


Popular verse and biography of Kings County collection

  • CA PCA Acc4511
  • Collection
  • 1882-1971

The collection contains a variety of verse and stories concerning people and events from the St. Peter's Bay, Souris, and North Lake areas of Prince Edward Island. Some of the items have a date and references that may indicate these materials were gathered and transcribed as part of a research project of some kind in the early 1970s.

Creator of this collection is unknown although several items appear to have been the property of George MacIsaac of St. Peter's, Prince Edward Island.


Prince Edward Island Arts Society executive: [197-]

  • CA PCA Acc4675
  • Collection
  • [197-]

This accession consists of one photograph of the executive of the Prince Edward Island Arts Society executive. There is partial identification of the individuals as follows: Back row l-r: Eleanor Lowe, Freda Breelman, ? MacKay, ? Taylor, Ruth Barlow, ? Taylor, ?; Front row l-r: ? Matheson, Jean Jones, Mrs. Bayfield Ellis. The photograph was owned by Jean Jones, a member of the executive of the Prince Edward Island Arts Society. The photographer is unknown and there is no indication of the occasion on which the photograph was taken.


Prince Edward Island Medical Corps: [ca. 1939]

  • CA PCA Acc4676
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1939]

This accession contains one photograph of the Prince Edward Island Medical Corps, World War II. The three officers seated in front are identified as Dr. G. L. Smith, Dr. J. J. Blake and Dr. James MacNeill. The photographer and occasion of the photograph is unknown.


Prince Edward Island photograph collection

  • CA PCA Acc2301
  • Fonds
  • 1824-1940

This collection consists of 338 photographs, 84 glass plate lantern slides, 1 print, and 1 carte-de-visite containing four images as well as their negatives. These photographs depict various Prince Edward Island subjects including prominent citizens, athletic teams, historic landmarks, events, public and commercial buildings, private dwellings, modes of transportation, landscapes, and cityscapes. Some of the images are not identified. Several of the photographs are oversized and are noted in the item listing.


Prince Edward Island post card collection

  • CA PCA Acc4390
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1904-195-]

This collection includes 54 colour and 26 black and white postcards. The postcards are arranged in the following groupings: churches and railway stations, ferries and iceboats, towns and villages, Charlottetown and Summerside, and pastoral and entertainment. Many of the postcards include messages, stamps and cancellation marks. Some are addressed to the Irving and Compton families. Ten of the images are of non- Prince Edward Island scenes and include Nova Scotia, Magdalen Islands and Manitoba.


Results 61 to 70 of 99