Showing 301 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island Collection English
Print preview View:

Jeanne Michener collection

  • CA PCA Acc4743
  • Collection
  • 1886

The collection consists of four photographs dated 1886 and includes images of St. Peter's Road, Dr. J.T. Jenkins' driving park, the ladies of Southport and two men on a camping trip. There is also one photograph featuring two carvings by G. W. Duchemin.

Michener, Jeanne

Ella (Clark) Leitch collection

  • CA PCA Acc4784
  • Collection
  • 1877-1878

The collection consists of five letters written to Ella Clark between 13 February 1877 and 31 October 1878. The letters were written by Ella Clark's friends and family from Prince Edward Island, including Bruce Leitch, W. D. Coffin, and Alfred Clarke. Topics discussed include social news and Methodist Sabbath Schools.

Leitch, Ella

Eville Gorham collection

  • CA PCA Acc4806
  • Collection
  • [1877?-189-?]

The collection consists of four identified photographs. The image of Hedley Lesorde was taken by A. G. Walford of Montreal, Quebec. The remaining three images were taken by Prince Edward Island photographers. The photograph of Gertrude and Amy Frizzell (ca. 1882) was taken by Clark & Bowness of Summerside, the image of Dr. McNally (ca. 1890s) was taken at the Bowness Studio in Summerside, and the image of Rev. James W. McKenzie (ca. 1877-1881) was taken by photographer C. (Cyrus) Lewis of Charlottetown.

Gorham, Eville

Fay MacPhee collection

  • CA PCA Acc4814
  • Collection
  • 1908-1953

This collection consists of four items: an undated newspaper clipping of the Dundas Plowing Match [ca. 195-?], an invoice for services received by a Mrs. MacGregor during a stay at the Prince Edward Island Hospital (1908), an account or invoice for James Gorveatt's stay at the Prince Edward Island Hospital (1953), and an Eaton's Christmas sale flyer [ca. 195-?].

MacPhee, Fay

Prince Edward Island Auxiliary Bible Society annual report

  • CA PCA Acc4856
  • Collection
  • 1852

This item is an 1852 copy of "The fourteenth annual report of the Prince Edward Island Auxiliary Bible Society, instituted at Charlottetown, December 13, 1837; with a list of subscribers and benefactors". It was published by James Douglas Haszard, Queen Square.

Prince Edward Island Auxiliary Bible Society

Goodwill House photographs : ca. 1900

  • CA PCA Acc4865
  • Collection
  • Copied [ca. 1960s]

These photographs are copy prints of two images of the parlour of Goodwill House, a house located on Goodwill Avenue in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. In one image, a woman is engaged in needlework in the parlour. There are two copies of this image. In the other image, a young man sits in the parlour. The photographer who made these copy prints may have been Vera Beck, a member of the Charlottetown Camera Club.

Unknown

From clan to clearance : history and archaeology on the Isle of Barra, c. 850-1850 AD / by Keith Branigan with J. M. Bumstead . . . [et al.] ; and contributions from E. Campbell . . . [et al.] . Oxford: Oxbow Books

  • CA PCA Acc4881
  • Collection
  • [ca. 2005]

The fonds contains Keith Branigan's book "From Clan to Clearance: History and Archaeology on the Isle of Barra, c. 850-1850 AD". The work is the result of over fifteen years of historical and archaeological research into the history of Barra, Scotland, and its people. The author draws upon field surveys, excavations, and documentary research from the United Kingdom and Canada. A catalogue of named emigrants from the Isle of Barra to British North America (1772-1851) also appears at the end of the volume. The fonds also includes a computer disk containing the emigrant catalogue in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) and in Microsoft Excel and OpenOffice spreadsheets.

Branigan, Keith

Unidentified procession photograph : [ca. 1910]

  • CA PCA Acc4989
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1910]

This photograph [ca. 1910] depicts an unidentified procession along the water at Victoria Park in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Some of the men in the procession are wearing tartan sashes and tams, others top hats. The three men leading the procession are carrying bagpipes, and musical instruments can be seen further back in the crowd. A number of people appear to be walking alongside, but slightly apart from, the actual procession.

Unknown

Boer War letter to James Robert Stewart

  • CA PCA Acc4999
  • Collection
  • 29 March 1900

This letter was written from Bloemfontein, South Africa on 29 March 1900 by "Lorne" during the South African Boer War and was sent to James Robert Stewart of Bayview, Prince Edward Island. In the letter, Lorne (whose surname is unknown) describes the conditions of soldiers in the British Army during the war. Lorne outlines how he was under fire four times, participated in one of the hardest marches ever performed by the British Army, slept in wet clothes, fought all day without eating, and drank from the Modder River as rotting horses, mules, oxen, and dead Boers floated by.

The creator is unknown, identified only as "Lorne".

James Robert Stewart was born 1 September 1864 and lived and farmed in Bayview, Prince Edward Island. In 1891, he married Jennie Ingles Bulman of New Glasgow. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart died in 1939 and 1940, respectively, and are buried together in the Cavendish / Presbyterian United Cemetery.

Unknown

Province House stereograph card

  • CA PCA Acc5014
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1865]

The collection consists of one card of stereographs of Province House in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, ca.1865. Stereographs are dual photographic images mounted on cards, to be viewed with a hand-held style stereoscope. The images are photographed from slightly different points of view, providing the appearance of a three dimensional image when it is viewed through the lenses of the device. The photographer is unknown.

The seat of the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island, Province House, previously known as the Colonial Building, was completed in 1847 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Local architect and builder Isaac Smith had the winning entry in a public design contest. The cornerstone for Province House was laid in May 1843, and the official opening of the building was held during the first session of the legislature in 1847. In September 1864, representatives from Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island met at Province House for the Charlottetown Conference. These September 1864 meetings on colonial union eventually led to the Confederation of Canada in 1867.

Unknown

Results 61 to 70 of 301