Showing 99 results

Archival description
Unknown
Print preview View:

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Souris, photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4048
  • Collection
  • [before 1928]

This collection consists of a mounted b&w photograph of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Souris, Prince Edward Island, prior to the fire of 1928.

Unknown

Retail stores in Charlottetown

  • CA PCA Acc4100
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1890?]

This collection contains three images of retail stores in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. One is identified as James Paton & Co., a second as McK_____?, Groceries, and a third with staff? posed in doorway is unidentified.

Unknown

St. Andrews Church, St. Andrew's photograph : [ca. 1880]

  • CA PCA Acc4116
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1880]

The collection consists of one photograph of the interior of St. Andrew's Church, St. Andrews, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1880, following renovations. The church burned in 1946.

This was the second St. Andrew's Church built in 1862 to replace a smaller church by the same name. The original St. Andrew's Church building was moved to Charlottetown in 1864 to become the schoolhouse for St. Joseph's Convent.

Unknown

Henry Wolsey Bayfield : [ca. 1840]

  • CA PCA Acc4156
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1840]

This collection consists of a coloured photograph of a painting of Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield, ca. 1840. Admiral Bayfield was born in Hull Yorkshire England in 1795. He joined the Royal Navy in 1806 at age 11. He was appointed Admiralty Surveyor in British North America in 1817 and surveyed North American waters. Bayfield became and Commander of the Royal Navy in 1826, a Vice-Admiral in 1863 and an Admiral in 1867. He was married to Fanny Wright with whom he had 6 children.

Unknown

St. Joseph's Convent photographs

  • CA PCA Acc4188
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1893], 1973

The fonds consists of two photographs of St. Joseph's Convent, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, one of the interior of the chapel in approximately 1893 and one of the exterior taken in 1973.

St. Joseph's Convent was at one time St. Andrew's Parish Church, Mount Stewart, Prince Edward Island. The church was moved over the ice to 147 Pownal St., Charlottetown in 1864 to be used as a schoolhouse. Another building was added in 1884-85, designed by Stirling and Harris. In 1916 St. Joseph's School came under the school trustees of Charlottetown and was known as Rochford Square School. The building was demolished in 1979.

Unknown

Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4190
  • Fonds
  • 1901-1903

The fonds consists of some 33 photographs taken during the construction of the Hillsborough bridge in 1901- 1903. There are also two railway photographs. Photographer is unknown.

On 18 April 1900 an agreement was signed between the federal and provincial governments for the construction of a railway and carriage bridge across the Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island. This was to constitute part of the Murray Harbour Branch of the P.E.I. Railway and would allow people east of Charlottetown an option other than travelling by ferry to and from Charlottetown or by road around Mount Stewart. Construction was begun in the spring of 1901 by M. J. Haney of Toronto under a detail contract. Twelve spans of steel bridgework were dismantled from a bridge near Derby Junction Station on the Miramichi in New Brunswick and eleven were re-erected and set on newly constructed piers to sit 15 feet above the high water line. The fifth span was a draw span which opened and closed for navigation on the river. In the late 1950's concern mounted that the bridge was growing too old to support the increasing traffic and it was closed for a brief period of time to the intense dismay of Islanders. Although it was reopened, it was soon after replaced by the current bridge in 1961 and was dismantled in 1963. The piers however were never dismantled and are still visible from the new bridge.

Unknown

Canadian National Railway tug of war team photograph : [1929]

  • CA PCA Acc4294
  • Collection
  • [1929]

This single collected item consists of an image depicting the members of the Canadian National Railway tug of war team in 1929. Individuals are identified as follows:

Standing left to right:
S. Duffy (manager), E. Cantwell, S.Hood, W.L. Munroe, B. Wood, G. MacKay

Seated left to right:
George Stewart, A. McEachern (captain), J. Leightizer (coach), L. Matheson, J. Strain, J.M. MacAlleer (anchor)

Unknown

Bank of Nova Scotia, Charlottetown hockey team photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4313
  • Collection
  • 1932-1933

This collection consists of a photograph of the Bank of Nova Scotia hockey team, 1932/33. Individuals are identified as follows:

Front row, left to right: Ralph Ramsay, Summerside; Ivan Sinclair, Charlottetown; Robin Cameron, Charlottetown; John Denny, Charlottetown; Herbie Desborough, Truro

Middle row, left to right: Stan Stewart, Victoria, PEI; Alan Mosher, Truro; Ed Owen, Charlottetown; Phil Meek, Canning, N.S.

Back row, left to right: Carl Tibert (Assistant Manager); Jud Logan, Grand Manan

The Bank of Nova Scotia opened its first branch on Prince Edward Island on 19 June 1882 in a building purchased from the defunct Bank of Prince Edward Island located at the northeast corner of Great George and King Streets. In 1883 it amalgamated with the Union Bank of Prince Edward Island and removed to that institution's building on the southeast corner of Great George and Richmond Streets. It continued to conduct business at this site until 1921 when it moved into new premises at Grafton and University where it remains today. (Information taken from "The Currency and medals of Prince Edward Island" by Robert J. Graham, Earle K. Kennedy, J. Richard Becker.)

Unknown

Employees of the Bank of Nova Scotia, Charlottetown, photographs

  • CA PCA Acc4342
  • Collection
  • 1921

This collection consists of two photographs of employees of the Bank of Nova Scotia in Charlottetown. One photograph is of six female employees of the Bank of Nova Scotia in the last year the bank was located on the corner of Great George and Richmond. They are identified as follows:

Back row: Verna (Hooper) Cameron, Margaret (Hegan) Malone, Fanny (Robertson) Carter

Front row: Alice (McLaren) Aitken, Mamie (Trainor) Gallivan, Kit Murphy (married name unknown)

The second photograph was located behind the above photograph. It is of an unidentified male. Inscription is signed Allison.

The Bank of Nova Scotia opened its first branch on Prince Edward Island on 19 June 1882 in a building purchased from the defunct Bank of Prince Edward Island located at the northeast corner of Great George and King Streets. In 1883 it amalgamated with the Union Bank of Prince Edward Island and removed to that institution's building on the southeast corner of Great George and Richmond Streets. It continued to conduct business at this site until 1921 when it moved into new premises at Grafton and University where it remains today.

Unknown

Henry McDonald, Sherbrooke, PEI portrait

  • CA PCA Acc4383
  • Collection
  • [19-]

This collection consist of an image which is a large format oval enhanced photograph. It is assumed to be Henry McDonald of Sherbrooke because of an inscription on the back. Verso is also inscribed Mrs. H.G. McDonald, Summerside, PEI

Unknown

Results 71 to 80 of 99