Aperçu avant impression Fermer

Affichage de 99 résultats

Description archivistique
Seulement les descriptions de haut niveau Unknown
Aperçu avant impression Affichage :

Colonial Building exterior plan

  • CA PCA Acc2455
  • Collection
  • [1837?]

This single collected item consists of an architectural drawing of the exterior of the proposed Colonial Building to be built in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The plan is comprised of three sheets. The provenance of this plan is unknown although, given the similarity between this plan and the structure of the Colonial Building as it was built, it is likely that the architect was Isaac Smith.

Unknown

Elsa Warwick portrait

  • CA PCA Acc3226
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1918]

This collection consists of one portrait of Elsa Warwick. Elsa Warwick (1882-1955) was an actress and model. She was the wife of Harry Warwick (1870-1942) and the two were members of The C. P. Flockton Comedy Company. Mr. and Mrs. Warwick owned a cottage on Prince Edward Island and were regular summer visitors for many years.

Unknown

J. Walter Jones photograph : [ca. 1910]

  • CA PCA Acc3318
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1910]

This collection consists of one photograph of J. Walter Jones about to attempt a hammer throw, ca. 1910.

John Walter Jones, agriculturist, school teacher, legislator, and Canadian Senator, born in 1878, was the son of James Benjamin Jones and Isabel (Stewart) Jones of Pownal, Prince Edward Island. He received his education at the district's public school, Prince of Wales College, Charlottetown, Acadia University, Wolfville, N.S. and the University of Toronto. In 1909, he married Catherine Bovyer of Bunbury and together they had one son and three daughters.

J. W. Jones was the Principal of the Consolidated School in Mt. Herbert from 1905 until 1907 and an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. from 1909 to 1912. He was first elected to the Provincial Legislature in the general election of 1935, re-elected in 1939, sworn in as Premier in 1943 and again re-elected in 1943, 1947 and 1951. John Walter Jones was appointed to the Senate of Canada in 1953 and passed away the following year.

Unknown

Charlottetown conference of Canadian premiers 1961 photograph

  • CA PCA Acc3331
  • Collection
  • 1961

This collection consists of one photograph of the provincial premiers who participated in the 1961 Charlottetown Conference, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The delegates are pictured standing on the porch of Fanningbank, the residence of the Lieutenant-Governor of PEI. Provincial premiers pictured in the photograph are, from left to right: W. A. C. Bennett, British Columbia: E. C. Manning, Alberta; T. C. Douglas, Saskatchewan; Dufferin Roblin, Manitoba; Leslie Frost, Ontario; Jean Lesage, Quebec; Louis Robichaud, New Brunswick; R. L. Stanfield, Nova Scotia; W. R. Shaw, Prince Edward Island; Joseph Smallwood, Newfoundland.

Charlottetown was the site of the second annual premiers' conference held 14 and 15 August 1961. The first annual meeting of the Canadian premiers was held in Quebec City in 1960 at the suggestion of then Quebec premier, Jean Lesage. The meeting delegates were officially welcomed to Prince Edward Island by Charlottetown mayor, Walthen A. Gaudet, at a reception held at the Charlottetown Hotel. The meetings were chaired by Premier Frost of Ontario and co-chaired by Prince Edward Island Premier Walter Shaw. Meetings were held at Province House and topics discussed included: the coordination of provincial sales tax collection, disaster aid, forest fire protection, agricultural and uniform traffic legislation research, portable pensions, the creation of a council of provincial premiers, the proposed building to commemorate the centennial of Confederation, education, Lord's Day Act, off-shore mineral rights, and financial matters.

Unknown

Northumberland Ferries photographs : [ca. 1950]

  • CA PCA Acc4122
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1950]

The collection consists of two photographs; one of the "Prince Nova", the first Northumberland Ferries vessel, at the ferry terminal wharf, the other of the Board of Directors of Northumberland Ferries Ltd.

Northumberland Ferries Ltd. was incorporated to operate in Prince Edward Island in 1939 having already obtained corporate status in Nova Scotia. It has operated the ferry transportation from Wood Islands to Caribou N.S. from that time until the present day. The "Prince Nova" was the first vessel to ply the Strait for Northumberland Ferries. Built in 1909, the passenger steamer was named "Waubic" until she suffered serious damage in a fire in 1938 and had to be rebuilt. From then until her arrival in P.E.I. in 1941, she was known as the "Erie Isle". From June of 1941 until the end of the 1957 season she was in service on the Wood Islands Caribou crossing and known as the "Prince Nova". She burned and was abandoned in July of 1959.

Unknown

Sir Louis Henry Davies photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4128
  • Collection
  • 1919

This collection consists of a photograph of Louis Henry Davies (1845-1924) and some family members was taken at "Curdridge," Hampshire, England, probably in 1919 when Sir Louis Henry Davies was in Europe for the Versailles Conference. Identified people in the photograph include: Sir Louis Henry Davies, Lady Davies, Mrs. Frances Davies (nee Ramsbotham), Reverend Herwald Davies, Miss Winifred Davies, Mrs. Muriel Tew (nee Davies), Mrs Joyce Jeffery (nee Davies).

Sir Louis Henry Davies was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, 4 May 1845. He received his education at the Central Academy in Charlottetown, and at the Inner Temple in London. He was admitted to the bar in 1867 and quickly gained recognition in that field. In 1876, he was elected to the P.E.I. Legislature. He served as Premier of the Province between 1876 and 1879. One of his outstanding achievements while in office was the legislation which established public schools in Prince Edward Island.

In 1882, Davies entered federal politics as a representative of Queens County. He was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada in 1901, and in 1918, became Chief Justice of Canada. He died and was buried in Ottawa 1 May 1924.

Unknown

"History of St. Cuthbert's"

  • CA PCA Acc4172
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1970]

This history of St. Cuthbert's Parish in St. Theresa's, Prince Edward Island traces the development of the parish from a mission church to 1970. The history includes a list of resident priests, a list of priests and sisters from St. Cuthbert's Parish and a list of the first Catholic settlers if the Mission of St. Cuthbert.

In the 1840s, following an influx of Irish Catholic immigrants to the Fort Augustus, Prince Edward Island, area, a mission church was established on the Baldwin's Road. This church, which had been dedicated to St. Cuthbert, served the mission for nearly thirty years when it was decided that a larger church was required. This second church stood from 1875 until 1879 when it was destroyed by a windstorm. Construction immediately started on a new church which was completed and dedicated to St. Theresa in 1886. In 1912 the parish hired architect James Harris to design a a larger church. Upon its completion in 1919 the new church was returned to the patronage of St. Cuthbert.

Unknown

Provincial Sanatorium film sequence / property of P. A. Creelman

  • CA PCA Acc4230
  • Collection
  • 1938

This collection consists of a film containing 50' of colour film mostly of the exterior of the Provincial Sanatorium in 1938, including a brief shot of a group of nurses. There is no audio.

The Provincial Sanatorium was built largely in response to a province-wide chest diagnostic survey undertaken in Prince Edward Island in 1925 which emphasized the necessity of providing a permanent diagnostic service and adequate sanatorium facilities. The fifty bed facility, designed by architect E. S. Blanchard, opened its doors in 1931. Dr. P. A. Creelman, appointed diagnostician and first chief health officer for Prince Edward Island in 1928, was made medical director of the sanatorium and placed in charge of the tuberculosis program in the province. Additions were made to the building in 1944. When the incidence of tuberculosis declined the building was turned into a rehabilitative centre and today functions as a chronic care institution named for a long time director of the institution, Dr. Eric Found.

Unknown

No. 2 Heavy Battery camp at Brighton photograph album

  • CA PCA Acc4240
  • Fonds
  • August-October 1915

The fonds consists of a photograph album containing 114 images taken of the officers and men of the No.2 Heavy Seige Battery and their camp at Brighton Road, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, while training for overseas duty between August and October 1915. The photographer is unknown. It is possible that the photographs were taken by J.H. McKay, a member of the Battery who was later killed in France. Each photograph originally had a number assigned to it by the owner which seems to indicate that they are part of a larger collection of an avid, well organised photographer. There are also some technical notations re. shooting.

The 2d Canadian Heavy Siege Battery was established in June of 1915 in response to efforts by Lt.-Col. Arthur G. Peake and other Prince Edward Island militia officers. It was to be a four gun unit with 6 inch howitzers and, after basic training in Charlottetown, was to proceed overseas with an authorized strength of 220. The majority of recruited men came from Prince Edward Island, with a few from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Great Britain and the United States. Before leaving for overseas a draft of regulars from the Royal Garrison Artillery were attached to the unit. From June until late fall the battery was stationed in tents on the Armoury grounds, Brighton Road, Charlottetown and introduced to army discipline and routine. On 26 November the Unit left Charlottetown on the Hochelaga for Pictou, N. S. and then travelled by train to Halifax where the men boarded the S. S. Lapland. Upon arrival at Plymouth Sound on December 5, they transferred to Roffey Camp at Horsham, Sussex for four months of training, followed by firing practice at Lydd. On 31 May 1916, the Battery crossed the Channel into France to join battle at the Somme, Vimy Ridge, Hill 70, and Passchendaele, moving on through Belgium and into Germany in late 1918. The Battery began its trek home from Mehlem, Germany, 4 February 1919, arriving in Halifax on 9 May 1919.

Unknown

George Godfrey photograph : [ca. 1890 ?]

  • CA PCA Acc4249
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1890 ?]

The collection consists of one photograph of George Godfrey, ca. 1890[?] taken from an unidentified publication.

George "Old Chocolate" Godfrey was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1852, the son of William Godfrey and Sarah Byers. He migrated to Boston about 1870, trained as a boxer, and in 1879 won a local competition which marked the beginning of a lengthy professional career as a prizefighter. By 1883 he had eliminated all challengers to the title of American black heavyweight champion. Undefeated until 1888, he continued to fight until 1895 when he turned to teaching and ran a boxing school at Scollay Square in Boston. He died of tuberculosis on 17 October 1901.

Unknown

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 99