Print preview Close

Showing 99 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Unknown
Print preview View:

Lieutenant-Governors and Premiers of Prince Edward Island photographic collection

  • CA PCA Acc2741
  • Collection
  • Copied 1985?

The collection contains images of the Lieutenant-Governors (1769-1985) and Premiers (1851-1978) of Prince Edward Island. It appears that the photographs may have been collected and copied as part of an exhibit of the Lieutenant-Governors and Premiers of PEI.

Unknown

Leigh and Gertrude Ferguson crayon portrait

  • CA PCA Acc4951
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1904]

This photograph is a crayon portrait of Leigh and Gertrude (Sealey) Ferguson of Lot 48 on their wedding day in 1904.

Unknown

Lea[?] and Woodside[?] family photograph collection

  • CA PCA Acc4572
  • Collection
  • [ca 1855-1895]

This collection contains 4 daguerreotypes of a man, a couple, and two children thought to be members of the Lea or Woodside family, and 3 mounted images of a wedding and two unidentified houses. Creator of this collection is unknown.

Unknown

Joint Degree Team St. Lawrence and Wildey Lodges I.O.O.F.

  • CA PCA Acc4209
  • Collection
  • 1902

This collection consists of one mounted photograph of the members of the St. Lawrence and Wildey Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodges in 1902. It is composed of separate images of the members rather than one group photograph.

The St. Lawrence and Wildey Lodges were active branches of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in the Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, area at the turn of the century. Many prominent citizens were members of these Lodges.

Unknown

J. Walter Jones photograph : [ca. 1910]

  • CA PCA Acc3318
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1910]

This collection consists of one photograph of J. Walter Jones about to attempt a hammer throw, ca. 1910.

John Walter Jones, agriculturist, school teacher, legislator, and Canadian Senator, born in 1878, was the son of James Benjamin Jones and Isabel (Stewart) Jones of Pownal, Prince Edward Island. He received his education at the district's public school, Prince of Wales College, Charlottetown, Acadia University, Wolfville, N.S. and the University of Toronto. In 1909, he married Catherine Bovyer of Bunbury and together they had one son and three daughters.

J. W. Jones was the Principal of the Consolidated School in Mt. Herbert from 1905 until 1907 and an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. from 1909 to 1912. He was first elected to the Provincial Legislature in the general election of 1935, re-elected in 1939, sworn in as Premier in 1943 and again re-elected in 1943, 1947 and 1951. John Walter Jones was appointed to the Senate of Canada in 1953 and passed away the following year.

Unknown

Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4190
  • Fonds
  • 1901-1903

The fonds consists of some 33 photographs taken during the construction of the Hillsborough bridge in 1901- 1903. There are also two railway photographs. Photographer is unknown.

On 18 April 1900 an agreement was signed between the federal and provincial governments for the construction of a railway and carriage bridge across the Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island. This was to constitute part of the Murray Harbour Branch of the P.E.I. Railway and would allow people east of Charlottetown an option other than travelling by ferry to and from Charlottetown or by road around Mount Stewart. Construction was begun in the spring of 1901 by M. J. Haney of Toronto under a detail contract. Twelve spans of steel bridgework were dismantled from a bridge near Derby Junction Station on the Miramichi in New Brunswick and eleven were re-erected and set on newly constructed piers to sit 15 feet above the high water line. The fifth span was a draw span which opened and closed for navigation on the river. In the late 1950's concern mounted that the bridge was growing too old to support the increasing traffic and it was closed for a brief period of time to the intense dismay of Islanders. Although it was reopened, it was soon after replaced by the current bridge in 1961 and was dismantled in 1963. The piers however were never dismantled and are still visible from the new bridge.

Unknown

Henry Wolsey Bayfield : [ca. 1840]

  • CA PCA Acc4156
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1840]

This collection consists of a coloured photograph of a painting of Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield, ca. 1840. Admiral Bayfield was born in Hull Yorkshire England in 1795. He joined the Royal Navy in 1806 at age 11. He was appointed Admiralty Surveyor in British North America in 1817 and surveyed North American waters. Bayfield became and Commander of the Royal Navy in 1826, a Vice-Admiral in 1863 and an Admiral in 1867. He was married to Fanny Wright with whom he had 6 children.

Unknown

Henry Pope Mills family photograph : [ca. 1910]

  • CA PCA Acc4309
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1910]

This collection consists of a family portrait of Henry Pope Mills and his wife Lydia Ann (Mutlow) with their children Daisy (Ball), Will, Percy, Everett, Annie (Warren), Tom, Sadie (Young), Maggie (Cudmore), Lottie (Knowlton) and Roy, circa 1910.

Henry Pope Mills was born on 2 August 1859 at Little York, Prince Edward Island, the son of Stephen and Eleanor Mill. He was married to Lydia Ann Mutlow of Vernon River on 15 February 1879 with whom he had 10 children. For many years he operated a butcher and green grocer's shop at the corner of Weymouth and Fitzroy Streets in Charlottetown.

Unknown

Henry McDonald, Sherbrooke, PEI portrait

  • CA PCA Acc4383
  • Collection
  • [19-]

This collection consist of an image which is a large format oval enhanced photograph. It is assumed to be Henry McDonald of Sherbrooke because of an inscription on the back. Verso is also inscribed Mrs. H.G. McDonald, Summerside, PEI

Unknown

Hallidays Wharf photograph : [ca. 1913]

  • CA PCA Acc4632
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1913]

The collection contains one photograph of Hallidays Wharf with the ferry Harland just leaving dock. The photograph was taken circa 1913. Hallidays wharf was in Belfast, Prince Edward Island, presumably named for the family living on the property where the wharf was situated.

Unknown

Results 51 to 60 of 99