Print preview Close

Showing 99 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

Hillsborough Bridge (1902) construction fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4190
  • Fonds
  • 1901-1903

The fonds consists of some 33 photographs taken during the construction of the Hillsborough bridge in 1901- 1903. There are also two railway photographs. Photographer is unknown.

On 18 April 1900 an agreement was signed between the federal and provincial governments for the construction of a railway and carriage bridge across the Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island. This was to constitute part of the Murray Harbour Branch of the P.E.I. Railway and would allow people east of Charlottetown an option other than travelling by ferry to and from Charlottetown or by road around Mount Stewart. Construction was begun in the spring of 1901 by M. J. Haney of Toronto under a detail contract. Twelve spans of steel bridgework were dismantled from a bridge near Derby Junction Station on the Miramichi in New Brunswick and eleven were re-erected and set on newly constructed piers to sit 15 feet above the high water line. The fifth span was a draw span which opened and closed for navigation on the river. In the late 1950's concern mounted that the bridge was growing too old to support the increasing traffic and it was closed for a brief period of time to the intense dismay of Islanders. Although it was reopened, it was soon after replaced by the current bridge in 1961 and was dismantled in 1963. The piers however were never dismantled and are still visible from the new bridge.


St. Joseph's Convent photographs

  • CA PCA Acc4188
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1893], 1973

The fonds consists of two photographs of St. Joseph's Convent, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, one of the interior of the chapel in approximately 1893 and one of the exterior taken in 1973.

St. Joseph's Convent was at one time St. Andrew's Parish Church, Mount Stewart, Prince Edward Island. The church was moved over the ice to 147 Pownal St., Charlottetown in 1864 to be used as a schoolhouse. Another building was added in 1884-85, designed by Stirling and Harris. In 1916 St. Joseph's School came under the school trustees of Charlottetown and was known as Rochford Square School. The building was demolished in 1979.


"History of St. Cuthbert's"

  • CA PCA Acc4172
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1970]

This history of St. Cuthbert's Parish in St. Theresa's, Prince Edward Island traces the development of the parish from a mission church to 1970. The history includes a list of resident priests, a list of priests and sisters from St. Cuthbert's Parish and a list of the first Catholic settlers if the Mission of St. Cuthbert.

In the 1840s, following an influx of Irish Catholic immigrants to the Fort Augustus, Prince Edward Island, area, a mission church was established on the Baldwin's Road. This church, which had been dedicated to St. Cuthbert, served the mission for nearly thirty years when it was decided that a larger church was required. This second church stood from 1875 until 1879 when it was destroyed by a windstorm. Construction immediately started on a new church which was completed and dedicated to St. Theresa in 1886. In 1912 the parish hired architect James Harris to design a a larger church. Upon its completion in 1919 the new church was returned to the patronage of St. Cuthbert.


65 University Avenue photograph : [ca. 1895]

  • CA PCA Acc4171
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1895]

This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of building at 65 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1895. When this photograph was taken, the building was occupied by Bell Boot and Shoe Repair and E. F. Acorn Cleaning. The building housed Art's Taxi in 1991.


Henry Wolsey Bayfield : [ca. 1840]

  • CA PCA Acc4156
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1840]

This collection consists of a coloured photograph of a painting of Admiral Henry Wolsey Bayfield, ca. 1840. Admiral Bayfield was born in Hull Yorkshire England in 1795. He joined the Royal Navy in 1806 at age 11. He was appointed Admiralty Surveyor in British North America in 1817 and surveyed North American waters. Bayfield became and Commander of the Royal Navy in 1826, a Vice-Admiral in 1863 and an Admiral in 1867. He was married to Fanny Wright with whom he had 6 children.


R. Moorhead Legate photograph : [ca. 1940]

  • CA PCA Acc4144
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1940]

This collection consists of a photograph which is a studio portrait of Rev. R. Moorhead Legate, minister of the Kirk of St. James Presbyterian Church in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, between 1930 and 1941.


Sir Louis Henry Davies photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4128
  • Collection
  • 1919

This collection consists of a photograph of Louis Henry Davies (1845-1924) and some family members was taken at "Curdridge," Hampshire, England, probably in 1919 when Sir Louis Henry Davies was in Europe for the Versailles Conference. Identified people in the photograph include: Sir Louis Henry Davies, Lady Davies, Mrs. Frances Davies (nee Ramsbotham), Reverend Herwald Davies, Miss Winifred Davies, Mrs. Muriel Tew (nee Davies), Mrs Joyce Jeffery (nee Davies).

Sir Louis Henry Davies was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, 4 May 1845. He received his education at the Central Academy in Charlottetown, and at the Inner Temple in London. He was admitted to the bar in 1867 and quickly gained recognition in that field. In 1876, he was elected to the P.E.I. Legislature. He served as Premier of the Province between 1876 and 1879. One of his outstanding achievements while in office was the legislation which established public schools in Prince Edward Island.

In 1882, Davies entered federal politics as a representative of Queens County. He was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada in 1901, and in 1918, became Chief Justice of Canada. He died and was buried in Ottawa 1 May 1924.


Northumberland Ferries photographs : [ca. 1950]

  • CA PCA Acc4122
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1950]

The collection consists of two photographs; one of the "Prince Nova", the first Northumberland Ferries vessel, at the ferry terminal wharf, the other of the Board of Directors of Northumberland Ferries Ltd.

Northumberland Ferries Ltd. was incorporated to operate in Prince Edward Island in 1939 having already obtained corporate status in Nova Scotia. It has operated the ferry transportation from Wood Islands to Caribou N.S. from that time until the present day. The "Prince Nova" was the first vessel to ply the Strait for Northumberland Ferries. Built in 1909, the passenger steamer was named "Waubic" until she suffered serious damage in a fire in 1938 and had to be rebuilt. From then until her arrival in P.E.I. in 1941, she was known as the "Erie Isle". From June of 1941 until the end of the 1957 season she was in service on the Wood Islands Caribou crossing and known as the "Prince Nova". She burned and was abandoned in July of 1959.


St. Andrews Church, St. Andrew's photograph : [ca. 1880]

  • CA PCA Acc4116
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1880]

The collection consists of one photograph of the interior of St. Andrew's Church, St. Andrews, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1880, following renovations. The church burned in 1946.

This was the second St. Andrew's Church built in 1862 to replace a smaller church by the same name. The original St. Andrew's Church building was moved to Charlottetown in 1864 to become the schoolhouse for St. Joseph's Convent.


Retail stores in Charlottetown

  • CA PCA Acc4100
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1890?]

This collection contains three images of retail stores in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. One is identified as James Paton & Co., a second as McK_____?, Groceries, and a third with staff? posed in doorway is unidentified.


Results 71 to 80 of 99