Showing 99 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Unknown
Print preview View:

"History of St. Cuthbert's"

  • CA PCA Acc4172
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1970]

This history of St. Cuthbert's Parish in St. Theresa's, Prince Edward Island traces the development of the parish from a mission church to 1970. The history includes a list of resident priests, a list of priests and sisters from St. Cuthbert's Parish and a list of the first Catholic settlers if the Mission of St. Cuthbert.

In the 1840s, following an influx of Irish Catholic immigrants to the Fort Augustus, Prince Edward Island, area, a mission church was established on the Baldwin's Road. This church, which had been dedicated to St. Cuthbert, served the mission for nearly thirty years when it was decided that a larger church was required. This second church stood from 1875 until 1879 when it was destroyed by a windstorm. Construction immediately started on a new church which was completed and dedicated to St. Theresa in 1886. In 1912 the parish hired architect James Harris to design a a larger church. Upon its completion in 1919 the new church was returned to the patronage of St. Cuthbert.

Unknown

"Railway King" photograph : [ca. 1872]

  • CA PCA Acc2966
  • Collection
  • Photographed 1977

This collection consists of one photograph of a painting of the barque "Railway King", ca. 1872. The artist is unknown. The barque "Railway King" was built in Summerside on 12 December 1871 by James Colledge Pope. The sailing ship had 3 masts and 2 decks. She measured 166 feet long, 34 feet wide, 17 feet deep and weighed 789 tons. Her master was Captain Allan Finlayson of Vernon River. On 14 June 1872, she was turned over to merchant James Malcolm of Liverpool. She went down off Cape Canso, Nova Scotia on 9 December 1872.

Unknown

"Turret Bell" crew photograph : 1906

  • CA PCA Acc4920
  • Collection
  • 1906

The collection consists of one photograph of the original crew of the whaleback steamer "Turret Bell", ashore at Cable Head, Prince Edward Island, in 1906. The photographer is unknown and the individuals in the photograph are unidentified.

The ship "Turret Bell" was launched from Newcastle-on-Tyne, England in 1894. On 2 November 1906 the ship was blown off course and onto rocks off Cable Head, Prince Edward Island. The ship was a local viewing attraction for three years, until it was salvaged on 31 July 1909. The ship was towed to Charlottetown, then to Quebec for repairs, after which she returned to her work in coastal shipping and trading.

Unknown

1939 Royal visit photograph : [14 June 1939]

  • CA PCA Acc4882
  • Collection
  • Copied 2004

The photograph shows King George VI and Queen Elizabeth outside of Province House in Charlottetown during their visit to Prince Edward Island on 14 June 1939. The King and Queen can be seen shaking hands with a group of war veterans. The man shaking the Queen's hand in the photograph is Nicholas Murphy. In 1939 King George VI of England and his wife Queen Elizabeth made a month-long tour of Canada. They set sail for Canada on 6 May and travelled for nine days across the Atlantic Ocean. The King and Queen's first stop in Canada was Quebec City. On 14 June 1939, near the end of their tour, the royal couple visited Charlottetown, PEI.

Unknown

65 University Avenue photograph : [ca. 1895]

  • CA PCA Acc4171
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1895]

This collection consists of a copy of a photograph of building at 65 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, taken ca. 1895. When this photograph was taken, the building was occupied by Bell Boot and Shoe Repair and E. F. Acorn Cleaning. The building housed Art's Taxi in 1991.

Unknown

Anonymous King's County Store ledger

  • CA PCA Acc2350
  • Fonds
  • 1826-1829

The fonds consists of a four hundred page ledger dating from 1826 to 1829. The individuals listed within the ledger are sometimes documented according to the community they are from, or by their occupation. Although the majority of the patrons documented within the ledger come from the communities of Cardigan, Launching, and Sturgeon, there are also individuals listed within the ledger from a variety of communities throughout King's County such as Montague, Brundenell, Georgetown, Murray Harbour, and Grand River. Noticeable residents of Charlottetown including Francis Longworth and Daniel Hodgson are also listed as patrons of this store.

Unknown

Anonymous Kings County lawyer's fonds

  • CA PCA Acc4607
  • Fonds
  • 1896-1898

The fonds contains an accounts ledger, inscribed "Ledger D" which records the legal work done and the charges made for the lawyer's clients, most of whom are identified as living in Kings County communities.

Unknown

Anonymous Queens County lumber dealer's fonds

  • CA PCA Acc2723
  • Fonds
  • 1876-1879

The fonds contains an account book, inscribed "Brush Book," which lists purchases made by the lumber dealer's clients, most of whom are identified as living in Queens County, Prince Edward Island.

Unknown

Ayrshire Field Day - Home of W. A. Moase & Son

  • CA PCA Acc4468
  • Fonds
  • 4 August 1962

The fonds consists of a photograph taken of 22 Prince Edward Island breeders who had been breeding Ayrshire cattle for 40 years or more. It was taken at the home of W. A. Moase & Son in Kensington on the occasion of an Ayrshire Field Day, 4 August 1962.

Front row: Earle MacRae, Willard Prowse, W. A. MacLean, D.J. Mullins, Keith Boswell, W. A. Moase, Mrs. George Boswall, George Matheson, Edwin Reid, John A. MacDonald

Back row: Major MacRae, Windsor Bell, Wilfred Furness, Gavin Reid, R. C. Parent (representing Experimental Farm), J. Heber MacPhail, P. A. MacIsaac, Fred MacRae, Louis Cairns, Alan MacLeod, William Younker, Earle Ings

Unknown

Bank of Nova Scotia, Charlottetown hockey team photograph

  • CA PCA Acc4313
  • Collection
  • 1932-1933

This collection consists of a photograph of the Bank of Nova Scotia hockey team, 1932/33. Individuals are identified as follows:

Front row, left to right: Ralph Ramsay, Summerside; Ivan Sinclair, Charlottetown; Robin Cameron, Charlottetown; John Denny, Charlottetown; Herbie Desborough, Truro

Middle row, left to right: Stan Stewart, Victoria, PEI; Alan Mosher, Truro; Ed Owen, Charlottetown; Phil Meek, Canning, N.S.

Back row, left to right: Carl Tibert (Assistant Manager); Jud Logan, Grand Manan

The Bank of Nova Scotia opened its first branch on Prince Edward Island on 19 June 1882 in a building purchased from the defunct Bank of Prince Edward Island located at the northeast corner of Great George and King Streets. In 1883 it amalgamated with the Union Bank of Prince Edward Island and removed to that institution's building on the southeast corner of Great George and Richmond Streets. It continued to conduct business at this site until 1921 when it moved into new premises at Grafton and University where it remains today. (Information taken from "The Currency and medals of Prince Edward Island" by Robert J. Graham, Earle K. Kennedy, J. Richard Becker.)

Unknown

Results 1 to 10 of 99