Title and statement of responsibility area
Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society Fitzhugh photograph collection
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection.
Level of description
CA JAS jas-2539
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society, collector
Physical description area
32 photographs : b&w prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In the early 1960s the Jasper Yellowhead Historical Society began collecting photographs on various subjects pertaining to Jasper's history. These photographs relating to the town of Fitzhugh were gathered from various sources to form this collection.
Scope and content
The collection consists of photographs of the town of Fitzhugh, its residents and visitors. Includes views of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway engineers camp on Snapes Hill. Also includes views of the town as late as 1927 when it was known as Jasper. People included are: James Oliver Curwood, Emerson Hough, Flave George Jr., Margaret George, Mary George, Mr. and Mrs. F. J. George, Miss Easton (governess), Ida Burnett, B.B. Kelliher, W.T. Carey, Miss Minnie Davidson, Mrs. J. S. Robson, Joan Robson and T. R. Buckham, Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Whyte and their children, Frank Sayer, Fred Cochrane, Jim Fahey, Jim Jefferson and Mr. Davis.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level description available.
Near the end of 1910 the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway established a divisional point at mile 112 (as measured from the Mcleod River), near a plateau between the Miette and Athabasca Rivers. It was called Fitzhugh after the vice-president and general manager of the railway, E. H. Fitzhugh. By 1911 the Canadian government had decided to make Fitzhugh the administration center for Jasper National Park. The town survey completed in mid 1913 was approved one year later. Development of the town began in earnest during the summer of 1913. The first change was to rename the town Jasper, the name by which it is known today.<br><br>Record No. ID94<br><br>