Fonds 1996 034 A - Nanaimo Regional General Hospital Society

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Nanaimo Regional General Hospital Society

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

NCAI 1996 034 A

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1884-1984 (Creation)
    Creator
    Nanaimo Regional General Hospital Society

Physical description area

Physical description

1.7 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Incorporated in 1881, the primary functions of the Nanaimo Hospital Association were to secure land and financing for a hospital building and to oversee general operations. The first Board of Directors included Robert Dunsmuir (President), John Pawson, E. Pimbury and A.R. Johnston (elected) and Marshall Bray (Provincial Government appointee). From 1881 to 1909, the Association acquired, by purchase and gift, 5 lots on the 300 block of Kennedy Street. The first hospital building on the site was erected in 1881 and an extension was added in 1883. In the late 1890s, a Maternity Patient building was completed and a Nurses' Home was built shortly after. A Nurses Training School operated on the site from 1906-1926. By the early 1920s, these facilities were inadequate and plans were developed for a new building. Financing difficulties delayed the completion of the building until 1928. The Women's Auxiliary and Western Fuel Employees Hospital Association were important fund raisers for the hospital building project. In 1953, the Hospital Board determined again that a new facility was needed. Planning for a larger, more modern facility began in 1954. Once more, funding was a problem and, in 1958, the South Central Vancouver Island Improvement District was created to broaden the hospital's tax base which had previously been drawn from Nanaimo only. In 1963, the Nanaimo Regional General Hospital was completed on a 15 acre site in the Woodlands area. The old Kennedy Street hospital was sold to K. G. Wall in 1968. It served as Malaspina Community College's first campus and later as a private long term care facility. On March 31, 1997, the Hospital Board was dissolved and governance of the hospital was taken over by the Central Vancouver Island Regional Health Board.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records which document the activities of the Hospital Society's board of directors, committees, staff and members. Fonds includes minutes, correspondence, reports, scrapbooks, blueprints and reference files. Fonds is arranged in 8 series: 1) Constitution and Bylaws; 2) Administration; 3) Financial Records; 4) Personnel and Human Resources; 5) Planning; 6) Reference; 7) Architectural Plans and Specifications and, 8) Photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series descriptions and file list available.<br />

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: NCAI-132

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area