Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: The title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1889-1996, predominant 1919-1978 (Creation)
- New Brunswick Teachers' Association
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The New Brunswick Teachers' Association can trace its roots to the formation of the Albert County Teachers' Union on 15 November 1902. At a meeting of the Albert County Teachers' Institute held at Hopewell Hill in September of that year, H. H. Stuart and E. A. Coleman moved that a five-member committee be appointed to facilitate the formation of a teachers' union to work toward improving teachers' salaries and working conditions. A constitution was presented at the meeting of the Albert County Teachers' Institute held at Surrey on 4 June 1903. The committee, comprised of E. A. Colman, H. H. Stuart, W. M. Burns, Marion H. Atkinson, and Mary H. Smith, met at Hillsborough the following November and adopted a constitution -- the Albert County Teachers' Union was born.
At a meeting held in Moncton on 22 December 1903, it was resolved that the name of the organization be changed to New Brunswick Teachers' Association. The NBTA's primary objectives were to aid the cause of education, to exact the character and efficiency of teachers, to lengthen teachers' years of service, to improve working conditions, and to increase teachers' salaries so as to make the profession more attractive. By 1904 the NBTA had members in every county and city in the province and had local organizations in every county except Gloucester, Restigouche, Charlotte, and Madawaska.
Beginning about 1918, the NBTA worked to become the recognized voice of all teachers in the province and to exert a greater influence on education. By 1942, the year the association was officially incorporated, all public school teachers in New Brunswick automatically became members of the NBTA. In 1948 a code of professional ethics was adopted. During the 1960s francophone teachers within the Association sought to form a separate organization, resulting in the formation of the New Brunswick Teachers' Federation, composed of the NBTA and L'Association des Enseignants Francophones du Nouveau-Brunswick. In 2001 the NBTA's main office is located on Montgomery Street in Fredericton.
Scope and content
This fonds consists primarily of the administrative records of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association. It includes minutes of the NBTA Executive Committee meetings (1919-1968), of the NBTA Annual General meetings (1922-1978), and of the NBTA and New Brunswick Teachers' Federation Board of Directors and Executive Committee meetings (1969-1977).There are also copies of reports and briefs (1958-1966); a partial membership list (1919-1920); and copies of several publications, including "Association Activities" (1971), "Nouvelles NBTA/NBTA News" (1969-1971, 1996), "NBTA Newsletter" (1963-1966), "Educational Review" (1889-1970), "Manuel de la NBTA" (1967), and the Association Subject Council publications (1967-1983).
Also included is a copy of Eric D. MacKenzie's 1971 UNB master of education thesis, "The Historical Development of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association" and a copy of A. M. Anderson's 1946 essay, "A History of the New Brunswick Teachers' Association."
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by the New Brunswick Teachers' Association through Ken Gillis in 1982.
Collection of publications (reports and briefs and Association Subject Council publications) transferred from Government Records July 2011.
Language of material