Type of entity
Authorized form of name
North Bay Teachers' College
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
North Bay Teachers’ College was a training school for teachers located in North Bay, Ontario. The college was founded in 1909 and was originally called the North Bay Normal School (the name derives from the teaching “norms” or standards upon which education was based at the time). The North Bay Normal School was the seventh normal school to be established in the province, and the first and only school to be established in Northern Ontario. Through the completion of a one-year course at the school, students (mostly recent high school graduates) could become qualified teachers. The school was located in downtown North Bay at 168 First Avenue West in a two-storey brick building, and was initially headed by A.C. Casselman, principal from 1909 to 1930.
In 1953, the North Bay Normal School was renamed North Bay Teachers' College after a decision by the Department of Education to rename the normal schools to better reflect their purpose as institutions for the professional education of teachers. In September 1972 the college moved from its downtown location to the College Education Centre (today Nipissing University and Canadore College's North Bay campus), which had just been built to house it and three other local colleges: Nipissing College, Canadore College, and Saint Joseph's School of Nursing.
On 1 September 1973, North Bay Teachers' College was formally integrated into Nipissing University College, becoming the new Faculty of Education and ceasing operation as an independent institution.