Collection PMH-EC - Princess Margaret Hospital ephemera collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Princess Margaret Hospital ephemera collection

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of collection.

Level of description


Reference code

ON00343 PMH-EC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

1.5 cm of textual records.
14 photographs : b&w and col. ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm or smaller.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Ontario Cancer Institute was established in 1952 by an Act of the Ontario Legislature.

Bill 172, an Act to amalgamate The Toronto Hospital and the Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital came into effect on January 1, 1998. The departments consolidated but OCI/PMH was to retain its own identity. The combined oncology program became Ontario Cancer Institute / Princess Margaret Hospital a division of The Toronto Hospital.

The original mandate for the Institute was to plan, construct, and establish buildings to accommodate cancer research, diagnosis and treatment, and the observation of and consultation with cancer sufferers. This mandate was broadened when the Institute was reconstituted by the Cancer Act, 1957, "to maintain, manage and operate a provincial hospital with facilities for cancer research, diagnosis and treatment". Construction at the 500 Sherbourne Street location began in 1954 and the Hospital opened on May 1, 1958 with 87 beds.

<blockquote>"The ... Hospital, as well as being an active treatment hospital, is one of the teaching hospitals affiliated with the University of Toronto. The scientists in the Research Division form the basis of the University's Medical Biophysics Division. Staff physicians also provide consultative and treatment services at the Hospital for Sick Children, St. Michael's Hospital, Sunnybrook Medical Centre and Toronto General Hospital, and attend six consultative and follow-up clinics located at North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury and Timmins". [The Ontario Cancer Institute incorporating The Princess Margaret Hospital: An Introduction / The Ontario Cancer Institute. - Toronto : Undated, p.1] </blockquote>

The hospital was responsible to the Institute's Board which was made up of representatives from The Ontario Cancer Treatment and Research Foundation, the University of Toronto and its teaching hospitals.

The Ontario Cancer Institute was originally organized into four divisions under the authority of the Institute's Director. These divisions were: clinical services, hospital services, physics, and biological research. The hospital's active and consulting medical staff were grouped under the umbrella of clinical services, while both patient services and administration were grouped under hospital services. The administrative structure of the hospital has undergone various changes over the years. Notably, by 1969, the Division of Hospital Services had been dismantled , and its various departments had been placed under the heading of Administrative Staff.

To mark the visit in 1958 of Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, the Government of Ontario named the new hospital "The Princess Margaret Hospital". The hospital is commonly known as the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital (OCI/PMH).

As of November 13, 1995, the Hospital officially moved to 610 University Avenue, and the new hospital facility was recognized by a visit from Her Royal Highness, Princess Margaret, on July 12, 1996. OCI/PMH amalgamated with The Toronto Hospital on January 1, 1998.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The Princess Margaret Hospital ephemera collection is an assembly of material in various formats that have been accumulated by the UHN Archives from a variety of disparate sources including, but not limited to, family members of former staff or students, other repositories, or anonymous donations. Collection consists of textual records, photographs and other material. Material in the collection relates to the history of the hospital, its staff or students.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Material is arranged by accession. No particular order has been imposed by the Archivist.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available.

Associated materials

Related records may be found in the Ontario Cancer Institute/Princess Margaret Hospital fonds and the Edward Shorter fonds.

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last updated: August 22, 2011

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres