Fonds Acc4979 - Rogers' Mill fonds : [1868-1914]

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Rogers' Mill fonds : [1868-1914]

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA PCA Acc4979

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Copied 2007 (Creation)
    Creator
    Rogers' Mill (Dunk River, P.E.I.)

Physical description area

Physical description

.05 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

David Rogers (1831-1908) was born in Llanstephen, Caermarthenshire, Wales, and immigrated with his parents, Jonah Rogers and Anna Thomas, to Central Bedeque, Prince Edward Island, in 1838. In 1854, David bought a farm in Freetown. In 1867, he began leasing the Dunk River Mills in South Freetown from the widow of George Miller Wright. He bought the mills and the 125 acre farm in 1870. He had two men working in the mills full time, plus extra help in the busy season. Women were hired to work in the carding mill. In 1906 David Rogers sold the mill and six acres to Albert Oakes. Later the grist mill building became a hydro plant and Austin Scales later operated the Scales Hydro Electric Company here from 1929 to 1963. After David Rogers

Name of creator

Biographical history

David Rogers was born in Llanstephen, Caermarthenshire, Wales in 1831. In 1839, his parents, Jonah Rogers and Anna Thomas, brought their family to settle at Central Bedeque, Prince Edward Island (after a brief stop in Nova Scotia) near where the Trans Canada Highway now crosses the Dunk River. Jonah Rogers was a whitesmith and farmer.

In 1854, David Rogers bought a farm in Freetown. In 1867, he began leasing the Dunk River Mills in South Freetown from the widow of George Miller Wright. Rogers bought the mills and the 125 acre farm in 1870. The Rogers home on the property was known as Kentleth Lodge and the mills included shingle, saw, grist, and woolen mills. Rogers had two men working in the mills full time, plus extra help in the busy season. Women were hired to work in the carding mill. A blacksmith shop also operated on the site. In 1906 David Rogers sold the mill and six acres to Albert Oakes. Later the grist mill building became a hydro plant. Austin Scales later operated the Scales Hydro Electric Company here from 1929 to 1963. After David Rogers

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds contains photocopies of records from David Rogers' Dunk River Mills, including a ledger (ca. 1868-1887), three daily logs (1889-1893; 1895; 1895-1896), and miscellaneous newspaper articles and other papers from inside the ledger (ca. 1901, 1912, 1914). The ledger names the mill customers, prices and the products milled for them, such as wool, oats, flour, boards, shingles, etc. The later handwriting and agricultural newspaper articles pasted into the ledger were put there by Frank Lawson Cairns (1895-1964) of Lower Freetown, grandson of David Rogers. The daily logs hold rough notes about mill orders and payments. These transactions were likely recorded in the log books in the course of daily business activities at the mill, with the intention that they later be transferred into the bound ledger.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

PERMISSION FOR USE AND REPRODUCTION IS REQUIRED FROM THE PUBLIC ARCHIVES AND RECORDS OFFICE; QUESTIONS REGARDING COPYRIGHT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER

Finding aids

NO FURTHER FINDING AID AVAILABLE

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area