Fonds - South Grindrod Drainage District fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

South Grindrod Drainage District fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1957 (Creation)
    Creator
    South Grindrod Drainage District

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The South Grindrod Drainage District was organized in October 1949. Its purpose was to develop a drainage ditch from properties south of Grindrod that had been flooded by marshlands and the 1948 flood, and to divert the waters under the C.P.R. railway and into the Shuswap River. John Shykora was elected chairman of the trustees; William Mikalishen was elected secretary. The ditches were dug, filled with concrete tiles and pipe, and buried with fill by December 1949, for a total cost of $1,342.01. In order to pay off a loan of nine hundred dollars borrowed from the Bank of Montreal, the group was organized as an improvement district under the supervision of the Water Rights Branch. Letters of patent and bylaws were adopted on January 15, 1950, whereby the secretary was appointed assessor and collector of taxes. A total of 67 acres were assessed, shared by 8 property owners: Mike Shykora (1), George Shykora (3), Adolph Karras (6), John Shykora (6), Walter Smyrichinsky (8), J. Mikalishen (11), William Mikalishen (12), and Steve Brodoway (20).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Letters of Patent and by-laws, minutes, correspondence, income and expense records, a time book, Bank of Montreal pass book, and receipts.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: EDM-3739

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres