Fonds - St. John's Parish (Old Masset, B.C.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John's Parish (Old Masset, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1877-1978 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. John's Parish (Old Masset, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

33.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

St. John's, Old Masset originated in 1876 as a mission station of the Church Missionary Society among the Haida of the Queen Charlotte Islands. Old Masset, the native village and original Masset, has also been called Haida. New Masset, the white community, is also referred to as Masset. By the 1910's the parish had expanded to include white settlers and was served by the mission ship, "Western Hope", as the Masset Inlet Mission. By 1966 Old Masset and New Masset were being served separately.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of parish registers (1877-1911, 1923-1956), baptism registers (1890-1923, 1965-1978), civil registers (1908-1920, 1928-1929, 1957-1977), service registers (1909-1968), manuscripts, printed material. Includes New Masset, St. Paul; Port Clements, St. Mark; Port Simpson. Includes manuscript and printed biblical texts, prayer books, grammar and other material in Haida used at St. John's Church, some of which, at least, translated by Rev. John Henry Keen while missionary there in the 1890's and early 1900's. Parish register I includes: marriages (1877-1910), births (1884-1886), deaths (1884-1886, 1911), confirmations (n.d.); parish register II includes: baptisms (1923-1946), confirmations (1929-1953), marriages (1923-1955), burials (1923-1956).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alpha-numeric designations

BCAUL control number: ANGCAL-255

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres