Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Margaret's School fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
STMARG SMS 2001-003;SMS 2003-012;SMS 2004-006;SMS 2004-009;SMS 2005-003
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Margaret's School (Victoria, B.C.)
Physical description area
83 cm of textual records, approx. 1300 photographs, and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Margaret's School for Girls was founded in Victoria in 1908 by Edith and Isabel Fenwick. The school started in a house on Cook Street. When the Fenwick sisters were drowned in a tragic boating accident in 1911, Margaret Barton took over as headmistress and she moved the school to new buildings on a campus at the corner of Fort and Fern Streets in 1912. The school remained there until 1970 when it moved to its present location on Lucas Avenue in Saanich.
The records of St. Margaret's School have remained in the custody of the school and are regularly transferred to the Archives. Some records previously deposited in the BC Archives as MS-1924, MS-1970, MS-1991, and MS-2033 and photographs 198309 and 198410 were returned to SMS in 2005 and are now described as accession 2005-003.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records generated by St. Margaret's School in the performance of its function as an independent school for girls. The fonds includes, but is not limited to, prospectuses, address books, report cards, award and trophy records, student records and photographs. The fonds is arranged in 3 series which relate to the 3 campuses the school has occupied - Cook Street, Fort Street and Lucas Avenue. Each series includes records which document awards, buildings and property, education, fine arts, Girl Guides and Brownies, graduation, leisure activities, special events, sports, students and staff.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to the St. Margaret's School fonds requires the permission of the Archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Inventory available with series descriptions and file lists. Item list available for photographs.
BCAUL control number: STMARG-1