Fonds MHCA0024 - Summerside Fire Department fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Summerside Fire Department fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA PCNSWH MHCA0024

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1911-1993 (Creation)
    Creator
    Summerside (P.E.I.) Fire Department

Physical description area

Physical description

.30 m. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The fire department in Summerside, Prince Edward Island was organized in the summer of 1863. Throughout the years it has served the town and surrounding area. In 1995, the department expanded to include the villages of St. Eleanors and Wilmot, which were absorbed into the newly incorporated City of Summerside.

Custodial history

The materials up to 1964 were donated to MCHA in March 2001 by Wilfred Smith, son of George Smith who took possession of them from Mrs. Leo Wood in 1965. Prior to that, they had been kept by Secretary-Treasurer Leo Wood who had inherited them from his predecessor George W. Hogg. The record books after 1964 were acquired from the Summerside Fire Department office by Windsor Corney when he was doing research for his book on the history of the department. He brought them to MHCA in June 2001.

Scope and content

The records consist of minutes for the years 1933-1993 and roll call books for 1931-1952, 1972, and 1974-1975. There is an account book showing the funds held by the department at the Bank of Nova Scotia from 1911-1960. Two notebooks dated 1973 and 1974 contain original handwritten minutes which were later recopied into the official record book. There is also a small notebook that was used to list out of town fires attended in the years 1962-1967, and a file of correspondence dated 1950 and 1954-1956.

Notes area

Physical condition

The 1911-1960 account book and the 1965-1973 minute book have broken spines.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Arrangement has been imposed by the archivist

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

NO RESTRICTIONS ON ACCESS

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

NO RESTRICTIONS ON USE OR REPRODUCTION

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

This is an open fonds

General note

Minutes for 1993-1995 inclusive, located in a black three-ring binder, were brought donated around 2002. In March 2006 the location of these minutes was unknown

Alternative identifier(s)

MacNaught History Centre and Archives

Accession 001.12.47, 001.51.86

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres