Collection ID2398 - Victoria Skating Rink

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Victoria Skating Rink

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

8 pp of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

In October 1863, a group of citizens of Saint John, New Brunswick, organized the Victoria Skating Rink Company. Shares were sold and season tickets issued. The rink was located on City Road, in Portland. The building was designed by Charles Walker, civil engineer, and built by James Quinton, contractor at a cost of $14,000, which was paid off before the opening on 5 January 1864. The building was circular with a dome and many windows, a platform for a band and galleries for spectators. The rink was managed by the Victoria Skating Club from 1870 and probably before.

By 1907, the Victoria Skating Rink was owned and managed by Robert J. Armstrong (d. 1943). In later years it belonged to F.E. Williams and, upon his death, passed to his son-in-law George Hamm, manager of Blue Ribbon Beverages of Montreal. The beverage company later took over the rink with plans to erect a plant at the site. It is unknown when the rink closed.

Sources: New Brunswick Museum -- Quinton family papers, (S107, box 2, F11) and Colwell collection (S72, box 1, pkt. 4a)

Custodial history

Information about the custody of this record prior to acquisition is incomplete

Scope and content

This collection consists of documents about the Victoria Skating Rink. There are 2 stock certificates for single shares purchased in 1882 and 1883, as well as two letters and a receipt, to John Walsh of Mill Street, from R.J. Armstrong regarding the use of the alleyway between Mr. Walsh's home and the York Theatre (connected with the Victoria Skating Rink). Some seasons tickets are also included.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Stock certificates were acquired from Helen Wilson in 1950. The source of the other items is unknown.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

There are records about the construction of the Rink in the Quinton family reocords S107 and the Colwell collection, S72 both at the New Brunswick Museum

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description


Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres