MC226 - Waterloo (ship)

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Waterloo (ship)

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Variantes du titre: Formerly known as MC226 Waterloo ship records.

Niveau de description

Cote

PANB MC226

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

3.5 cm of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Notice biographique

The 391-ton "Waterloo", the first square-rigged ship built at St. Martins (also known as Quaco), New Brunswick., was launched in 1815. Constructed by James Moran, the vessel was owned by timber merchants and shipowners John Ward & Sons, of Saint John. Loyalist John Ward (ca. 1753-1846), who was born in Westchester County, New York, immigrated to New Brunswick with his regiment, the "Loyal Americans," at the end of the Revolutionary War. He became engaged in commercial pursuits there, along with his sons, John (d. 1875), Charles (d. 1882), and Caleb (d. 1821). The family firm was located at the corner of South Wharf and Ward streets for many years. John Ward was also involved in municipal and provincial politics, sitting as an alderman for the city of Saint John, from 1799 to 1809, and later as a member of the House of Assembly for Saint John County and city.

Beginning in 1815, the "Waterloo" was engaged in the timber trade. The ship was captained, on separate occasions, by either Charles Hare (d. 1859) or William Dudne (d. 1865), both master mariners from Saint John, on its voyages to Liverpool, England. John Ward & Sons shipped cargo -- white pine, red pine, birch, deals, staves, deal ends, lathwood, and timber -- that was consigned to either Addison & Bagott or George B. Brown, both of Liverpool. In July 1812, when the disbursment book begins, the ship was on her 8th timber voyage. The 17th and last trip was made in 1826. In that year, the "Waterloo" was sold in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The ship continued in use until 1852 when it was lost at sea.

Sources: "John Ward," "Dictionary of Canadian Biography" on-line; Esther Clark Wright, "The Ships of St. Martins," and Daniel Johnson, "Vital Statistics from New Brunswick Newspapers".

Historique de la conservation

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Portée et contenu

This fonds documents the timber trading activities of the ship "Waterloo" as transacted by its owners John Ward & Sons, of Saint John and their agents, between 1821 and 1826. It consists of a disbursment book that records the purchase of provisons and the hiring of labour for 10 timber voyages. Items and services purchased include foodstuffs, household supplies, insurance, rum, paint, oil, medical attendances, clothing, cartage, surveying, hauling and custom duties. For the most part, the names of the captains and seamen receiving wages, the amounts paid, and the type of labour performed are recorded. Occasionally expenses paid on the seamen's behalf, such as washing, tobacco, and rum are noted. Statements of sales of timber and cargo at Liverpool, statements of profit and loss, and accounts of cargos are also included.

A number of newspaper clippings, [ca. 1885], on a variety of subjects, such as shipping, steamboats, railways, bridges, politics, crime, and charitable organizations, relating primarily to the city of Saint John, were found tucked between the pages of the disbursement book. This material is also included with the fonds.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Purchased from P. J. Fitzpatrick on 31 October 1980 along with MC387 and MC459.

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

None

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

An inventory is available

Éléments associés

The Provincial Archives houses MC282 John Ward & Sons fonds which includes microfilm copies of correspondence with George Brown, of Liverpool, and master mariners, Charles Hare and William Dunde, dating to the 1820s. PANB also holds MC2714 Queen and Waterloo (ships) log which may or may not be related to the Ward firm.

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés